Your Phone number and Google

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by fisherman, Feb 26, 2005.

1. fisherman

fisherman New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's
    telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
    be given a map to their house as well. Everyone should be aware of
    this!
    Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked.
    I tested it by typing my friends telephone number in google.com. His phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where he lives.
    Quite scary.

Please look up your own number. Read below for details. Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: http://www.google.com/ Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the Phonebook Results link above your phone number and click on the Phone Book Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. If your number does come up if you hit map, it will show you a direct map to your house...

You may want to forward this to friends and family, your decision. Don't forget to check you cell phone number, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I just tried it...it doesn't work.

Lara

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I did it and it worked.

There is a way to stop it if you read the site.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    It worked for me. :shock:

Van

5. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    I've tried it multiple times and it doesn't work for me. They can't find it in any document...or so it says.

That's good!

Lara

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Since this is something new, they may not have every number on it yet. Keep and eye out.

Van

7. soontir2432

soontir2432 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    Google has had this for years. I remember I took off my phone number by following instructions on a google page to make it private.

I've long since forgotten how to get there, though but should be related to the phone number page. :oops:

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have learned that you really need to check now and then. Our number is private - not in a phone book -- BUT GOOGLE HAD IT! We had them take it off. 6-months later it was back. After this thread started I checked it again, and yes, it was back again but listed under my wife's name.

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I tried mine, evidently they haven't put UK numbers on yet. I tried one of my friend's (who is at uni in the US) number, and it came up with a map. Creepy stuff! Definitely dodgy for the potential use by paedophile-types etc out there.

10. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    UNI~ the University of Northern Iowa?! :shock:

Lara