YOUR Top Ten

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FreshBrewed, May 21, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, I can only talk for myself, but basically, I've used my Omega for everything. When I got it, my parents had the choice between the Omega and the standard run of the mill Strad ( I think the difference was 6 or 700 dollars). The thing that swung us to the Omega was that my parents didn't really know how committed I was to the trumpet. I didn't either. So it seemed a bit more logical to go with the Omega, which still had a very good tone and the excellent Strad valve body considering it's intermediate status. I've played everything from stand trash on Friday night football games, to jazz solos, to concertos, to marching with the Aggie band (I kinda put that in a separate category; long, long story). In my opinion, if a person is unsure if they really want to play the trumpet, want to keep the cost low, but still want a quality horn, the Omega is a great trumpet. In all actuality, it really was my first trumpet after moving up from my ambassador cornet.

Oh, and pro horns, lessee....
    Kanstul 1500 (which I intend to purchase this summer)
    Conn V1
    Bach Strad (37)
    Yamaha Xeno
    Schilke S32

Beginner horns?Hmm...
    Bach Omega (like you couldn't see THAT one coming)
    Olds Ambassador
    Holton T602 (this one is pushing it, but I think it fits)
    Bach TS300
    and that's all I can think of right now.

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    I suppose the Olds Recording would go into the Pro models? It's to this day one of the very finest trumpets I've ever played, from an amateur perspective. When I was at school (a looooong time ago!), my then teacher, Clifford Haines, loaned me his for a couple of years. Absolutely fabulous instrument, free blowing, fine intonation across the register. Whether it's up there with the best depends on individual taste, but it suited me fine!

As for a top ten, not sure I've played 10 models for a sufficiently long periond of time to make a reasoned judgement!

Regards

Dave

3. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    The favourite pro horns I have played: (no particular order)
    Schilke B1
    Taylor Chicago
    Yamaha 6335HS2

Student/Intermediate models:
    Yamaha 2335
    Yamaha 4335GS

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Bb trumpets only:

Selmer Paris Concept TT