Your trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cmcdougall, Aug 22, 2005.

1. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Tell us about your trip manny, or at least the music part of it, how was it??

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ....and a slide show too!

-cw-

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Glad your back

4. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Hey! Stole my words. :wave: Good to see you, Manny. :-)

5. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I think this calls for a limerick:

After days of tossing and turning
    And longing for Manny's returning
    We're all happy to see
    that soon our trumpet queries will be
    Answered, it's the end of our yearning.

Ok maybe that was a little stretch with the yearning and tossing and turning and all but it will be nice to have the forum up and going again.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, one and all...

Well, the good news is that New York hasn't fallen into the East, Harlem, or Hudson River, the Yankees are still a fun team to watch (along with their fans), Ray Bari Pizza is still worth a trip to the east side for lunch, the Circle Line narrators maintain their status as the best tour narrators around, they've started work on the World Trade Center again, and I swear that Carnegie Deli sandwiches are even bigger than they used to be.

I love the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan. It's over three hours long and chock-full of some great inside info about the building of the city. It was a bit spooky that our tour narrator sounded exactly like Peter Jennings from timbre to cadence and it was a day or so after he died that we happened to get him. I mentioned it to him and he said that more people had mentioned that to him since Jennings died.

I paid a pile of money for that Yankees game to scalpers but it's about the only way to get in without connections and got to see that idiot that decided to throw himself from the upper deck onto the foul ball netting to "see if it would hold his weight". The security guards present wanted to kill him him.

I had the most phenomenal Linguine Carbonara on Mullberry Street in Little Italy. It's great the way the maitre d's stand out in front of the restaurant and hawk the the restaurant to get you to come in. We went to a restaurant called Fratello and it was fabulous, I mean it. Wiseguys all over the place.

The subways were clean. No graffiti, no bums, no panhandlers, no delays. People were nice. Ellis Island was magnificent, all redone and fixed up so it looked the way many of your ancestors saw it when they came here. A place that was built to process 200-300 a day once saw 11,000 come through. No wonder they didn't have the time to spell anybody's name right!

The Cloisters in Washington Heights is an old monastery-cum-museum that was reassembled brick by brick in that area to serve as a museum that now houses, among many other things, the Unicorn Tapestries. They are incredible to behold and are a metaphor for the life of Christ. There was even an old narwhal tusk on display that shysters used to try to pawn off as "authentic unicorn horns" during the medieval period. On display is a rosary bead about two inches in diameter that contains a detailed wood carving of the life of Christ! It is unbelieveable to see. You can't imagine how someone could do that kind of fine detail works by hand and not with laser powered gizmos. I'll never compain about having to practice again!

For $7 you can traipse all over all five boroughs of on an all day pass instead of two bucks a shot. It's the best mass transit deal around when you consider the sheer amount of real estate you can cover.

Well, that's part of the New York leg of the trip. Oh, I didn't mention going to Patelson's behind Carnegie Hall. Great, great music store where I usually load up on scores once a year. Boy, you can drop major coin in that town.

On to Puerto Rico!

ML

7. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Sounded like you had fun....next time, can I hide out in your suitcase?

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well...

The New York part was the touristy part of it and, as I wrote in another thread, it was great.

Puerto Rico was a blast for a variety of reasons. When I got home to my parents in the hills of San Lorenzo she had a roast pork waiting for us that was unbelievable! 79 and still cooking up a storm. My son loves my mom's cooking as much as I do and it's fun to watch both my kids eat with such gusto. They appreciate that they only get to tatse that cuisine once a year.

We hit the beach and it's amazing what splashing around in cool water will do for your disposition. Oh, the second day may mom made pastellios and alcapurrias. Very down home soul food for Puerto Ricans that involves a lot of time if you're going to do it right. Every dinner includes red beans and either white or yellow rice. The next night was a chicken stew and the night after that was arroz con pollo (chicken with rice).

For my 50th birthday I spent the day giving a master class at the Conservatorio as a sneek preview for the week where I'll be an artist in residence this season. It was a tremendously sweet way to celebrate my landmark birthday. I truly couldn't have had more fun than talking in Spanish to my "countrymen" about something I love. It was the perfect way to mark that date.

I also caught an outdoor performance of "I Pagliacci" with a local opera troupe accompanied by the Sinfonica. It was a fabulous, crazy affair where anything could happen and the singing was first rate. It all took place in this tiny plaza in Old San Juan. People where literally hanging off trees to be able to watch and listen. It was like going back 100 years.

Anyways, it was a lovely time and I look forward to trying to get back next year.

ML