Your trumpets!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Mar 5, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Each horn has it's own set of characteristics and I play the one that I deem most appropriate for the job.

For example, my Yamaha rotary C (YTR-945) is a great all-around horn. It doesn't have that stereotypical "Rotary" sound, however. If I NEED that stereotypical sound, then, I've got my Kurt Laberer rotary C (or one of my rotary Bbs).

If I'm playing with a certain group, I often play my venerable Bach 239L 25H piston C because they have a preconception of what a "rotary" sounds like and that somehow it won't blend with the rest of the section. Alas, the director doesn't seem to get that I sound pretty much like me, regardless of the horn I play, the differences being in my accuracy and intonation when I'm not playing my preferred horns (meaning I'm not quite up to my usual standard when I have to play the Bach).

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I guess that this thread was written to condemn people like me who enjoy the variances found in our many horns. I do play almost all of mine regularly with a few exceptions. These exceptions are mostly horns that I had high expectations for that went unfulfilled. Others are strictly collectibles. I have that right. It is my money. At least I don't waste my money on booze or broads.

OLDLOU>>

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I actually used to waste money on booze, dope, and expensive restaurants. Now I buy and sell and trade and give away trumpets and cornets. If I had all the money I blew on booze, drugs, and haute cuisine, I could buy a beemer, a yacht, a college education - but I don't and so I just have fun playing as much as I can, enjoying my collection, helping young musicians with few resources, hiking my woods and watching birds.

And I am married to a wonderful lady, and with her have happiness money could never buy. So I am rich, beyond my wildest expectations.

veery

4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Not to one up you...:-P

...but I married a wonderful lady who not only fulfills the above needs, but also plays trumpet/cornet, :thumbsup: and thus doesn't hassle me over my growing instrument collection!!!:D

Music, rythmn, my girl, (my cats, too)... who could ask for anything more! (to coin a phrase! :roll:)

She's the best!! (and I make sure she knows it, too!)

Guy Clark
    www.southbaybrass.com <-- she's the founder
    www.siliconvalleybrassband.com <--- she's one of the reasons the group exisits!

5. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    You forgot one possibility. If we have neither money nor talent, we post on internet forums about how we have both ;-)

6. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    rofl

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Can't 1 up me, because we have cats, and my lady is a dancer and a singer and a latina delight, who says: "Do you want to practice while I 1) get dinner ready, 2) do laundry 3) go to sleep, etc.?" For Valentine's Day she bought me a flugel/trumpet case. It goes on and on - we are two lucky guys, Guy! (and I'm a guy but not a Guy!)

veery
    now who's got more horns? guitars, keyboards, computers, ay ay aye!

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    As you can see from my signature, I have a pocket trumpet, a beautiful old cornet and four trumpets, all but one (Recording) were rescued from oblivion and another was purchased for the novelty value (Pinto). My collection is complete as I feel other horns I might desire to play need to be in the hands of those who can play them regularly.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bright sounding horns for throwing daggers, thick sounding horns for knocking walls down, liquid sounding horns for bathing in music, dark sounding horns for smoky clubs at night.

The consummate trumpeter wants it all. Painters often use more than one shade of black to pour out their soul!

10. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Veery715, we must have been in a band together once!

Anyway, with the arrival of internet trading/buying, horns are more available. The intrugue to play other regional instruments has been assisted by having them so available these days. And that's very cool, especially with newer vintage horns like the LA Benge, LA Calicchio, Schilkes for example that were more regionally based horns 30 years ago. On the east coast, nost of us played Bachs, and not much else. There's nothing wrong with that but now you have a chance to play other horns, and they are great to play.

I'm sure most of us have a go to horn, and rather than sell my 1980 Bach lightweight, I have kept it. I play mostly on my 8310Z, and once in a great while on an S42 Schilke. It's fun to "cheat" once in a while!

Pete