Your trumpets!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Mar 5, 2010.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    "When we go to our reward, the guy with the most toys wins". I want to be at least a high runner up. I think that I am well on my way, not only to my reward, but, also to winning. At age 73 11/12 years on this planet I claim that right.

I just 'acquired' a novelty for me, a Buescher Aristocrat cornet that plays like a dream but, will keep me down in my shop and out of my wifes hair for awhile. LOTS of dents to be ironed back out. Doggone young kids that have no respect for the nice things that mommy and daddy spend their money on. I guess that my 'accumilation' has been benficial by keeping me busy at rebuilding all of my "toys",( wifes statement ).

On that subject, how can we teach kids that their instrument case is NOT a carryall. Putting anything into the case that keeps the lid from closing by gravity is a case overload that will cause dents and misalignments. I remember a highschool boy coming in to the shop with a bulging case, complaining about stuck slides. He then removed two textbooks from scholastic classes, his music folder and a 1/2 pint thermos bottle from the case to get at his horn. It was a Reynolds Contempora trumpet. I wanted to wrap it arround his neck, but, then I would just have more dents and misalignments to fix. What really got to me about him and his mom was that they were demanding warranty repairs.

OLDLOU>>

OLDLOU>>

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    >>It goes on and on - we are two lucky guys, Guy! (and I'm a guy but not a Guy!)<<

Good for you!!! We are indeed "veery" fortunate, and I am very aware of just how fortunate I am, in so many ways!!

Guy who is a guy (thought Herb Alpert's "This guy's in love" song was pretty appropos ;-))

3. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Did you laugh at them before or after they left the shop?

4. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009

I can sound just as bad on an expensive horn as an old beater. Some days I don't even have to try to sound bad. It happens all by itself!

5. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Booze is a waste of money but women are not. Trust me. When you are playing Wonderland By Night you'll need memories to make that horn sing right!!!

6. BradH

BradH New Friend

Feb 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    my list collection is mainly horns of different keys and types (cornet, trumpet, flugelhorn). I did have 3 trumpets in Bb and sold my Bach model 43 as I found after buying the 72 I wasn't using the 43 anymore...prefer the sound of the 72. Also different models and brands offer different sounds for different playing styles. ie big band, jazz, classical etc. Also some might prefer a larger bore for legit and smaller for combo etc. Anyway that's my take on it.

7. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    I was quite happy with 1 horn but I borrowed a vintage horn while mine was in the shop for an adjustment. Ended up loving it so much I couldn't give it back. Now I have 2 to clean.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Old A.J.'Bill' Johnson told them that the repairs could be done, but that they would be resposible for the cost of those repairs. If they didn't like that, they were invited to take their complaint to the Better Business Bureau or to the courts. They paid for the repairs, ( dearly ).

9. myhammclan

myhammclan New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    Waverly, Tn
    I cant believe how kids handle there horns,,,,I was at a football game at the high school one night and the band came by where we were standing, (I was with the fire dept then) and they stopped before going on the field,,,,one of the trombone players handed her horn to another band member he took the horn for just a min., and then said he didn't want to hold it anymore,,,so she just told him to drop it,,,,and he did!!!! I almost passed out,,,,we was on a gravel road that goes around the stadium,,,,and he just let go of it and let it fall to the ground,,,,and didn't care,,,,,,I told him to pick it up, and he said why its not mine,,,,,,I was in shock,,,,,I told him that you dont treat a horn like that,,,if its your's or not,,,,,,I used to carry my Yamaha 747 (or thats what i think that horn was,,,,,one thing I really wish I had never sold,,,,,) in a cloth diaper,,,,unless I was on stage or in a show,,,,,I fell one day and broke my lead pipe and I almost cried,,,,I was very upset that I had hurt my horn,,,,kids today just dont get it,,,,,im teaching my son to take care of his horn,,,he's in beginning band and he got a small dent in it, because a kid next to him bumped into it,, I told him stuff happens, but u have to be careful,,,

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. myhammclan

myhammclan New Friend

Jan 15, 2010
    Waverly, Tn
    hey old lou are you from The Bach Shop,,,?????