Your trumpets!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpets are like ersatz casual girlfriends/boyfriends. Nothing wrong with multiple blondes, redheads, etc. and each has a unique personality that we love.

Too bad we can't sell girlfriends/boyfriends like we can trumpets. If so, I would have been sold hundreds of times, and would have sold (or at least tried to) a few times myself.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Nothing wrong with owning more than a few trumpets. If you can play, then why not enjoy the fun. It beats going to the store and testing then leaving your love at the store.

Holton MF Horn ST302, Conn 38B Connsellation, Bach 37 ML, 37L, 43ML, 72ML, Large Bore, Medium, peashooters, Martin Committee, , Olds Recording, Benge 3X, Schilke, Olds Ambassador, Selmer Sterling, BG, Jupiter Pocket, C Pocket, Slide Trumpet, Banana Horn, Tip Bell Getzen 900H, and a few more....
    Which would you NOT want to own and play as your mood felt guided you...

I am not a major collector, but I enjoy playing, and I enjoy being the custodian of nice gear. You jealous? I hope so.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW: Just to really peave you:
    Jaguar XJ6, - for the ride
    Triumph TR6 - for the drive
    Volvo 850 wagon - for the load
    Landrover Disco - for the tow

Let talk fishing next!

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Right now I have 6 Bbs if you count the pockets. The Yammie is in the process of being sold - if it doesn't sell locally I'll post it here. The two Raptors get rotated, though the gold plate has become the primary. I like having a good solid backup. One pocket is being shipped out for repair but will be my travel/fun horn. The other pocket is being given to my husband's niece. The Calicchio is a collector, and also a really great player, but is too bright for anything but big band or rock band. It's already worth a whole lot more than I paid for it, so maybe it will help finance my old age eventually. The rest of the stable are my workhorses depending on the gig, and I think I've carried every single one of them to brass quintet this week! I wish there was a case for 5 horns, or a quad that holds a flugel!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009

Some of us cross lines with our instruments. I own two cornets and one trumpet,four trombones, a baritone horn, a clarinet and a keyboard which I use to tune or transpose. Right now I want a good euphonium in the three plus one configuration. Euphoniums are exceptional in there tone and range and can move almost as fast as a trumpet in fast passages. Oddly the American baritone horn usually is a form of euphonium. These instruments have been long neglected and should not be as they can create wonderful music.

6. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Trumpet = Main horn
    Flugel = for flugeling
    Pocket = for traveling
    4 Cornets = for whatever mood I'm in - each sound and play COMPLETELY different

I play and love them all!

"The consummate trumpeter wants it all. Painters often use more than one shade of black to pour out their soul!" Perfectly put Rowuk

7. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009

For me bass clef is home. Treble clef is foreign ground and I can get by but it is a strain. Worse yet, by custom, a trombone plays a true B flat in Bass clef whereas a B flat trumpet reads B flat in treble clef but the fingerings are for wrong. For example a baritone horn or valved trombone would have all valves open for B flat in bass clef. As you can imagine switching back and forth can be quite challenging unless one is doing nothing other than playing instruments for a living. Many things have effects on players such as a flute player not being able to see his fingers as he plays. In essence every little thing matters. A trumpet is no different. For example a slow passage doesn't usually need the fastest valves ever created but one slow valve can drive a trumpet player crazy. Being in concert when a valve starts acting up can make you pray that enough of a break is coming to get some valve oil down the hatch.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Why? Because I can, and for all of the foregoing obsessive compulsive reasons.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Let me answer that with a question.
    Why do you think Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton have so many guitars?

10. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Why do guitar players have/want so many guitars! Hahaha