Your trumpets!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Mar 5, 2010.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There are currently 14 guitars, 3 amps and a french horn in my husband's practice room - one of the guitars and amps he's babysitting for a friend who's in Europe right now, and one guitar belongs to the Navy, but the rest are his. One he owned before we met, the rest I approved of except one - he sneaked that in under the radar! One I built for him for our 10th anniversary. There are several Strats, but they are all hot-rodded with different pickups, and the hollow and semi-hollows all have a different sound and function. It's easier for trumpet players to use one Bb for everything than it is for guitar players to use one guitar, but since trumpets are so much easier to store and pay for, why not! It's funny, though - I've given him a couple of guitars as gifts, but i've never gotten any trumpets in return...I'm gonna have to fix that!

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

No. I worked for the former owner of the York Band Instrument Co. in his retail store, The Grand Rapids Musical Instrument Exchange in Grand Rapids, Mi.. The owners name was Alfred J. 'Bill' Johnson.

OLDLOU>>

3. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I hear you. I went from third grade through college with a Pan American trombone. After college I had a new finish put on it and gave it to a poor kid to start in band. It never had the slightest dent,ping or scratch in that horn. It didn't even have finish loss at the hand contact points. The only reason I had it refinished was that the lacquer was getting a bit darker. The Conn luster finish was remarkable. I don't think anyone has a finish as good as that stuff. My horn would have been built about 1949 or 50.
    But what you are seeing from school kids now is a wave of absolute terror or bewilderment. It is not possible to understand what the heck is going on with a lot of these kids. I do, however, know what will fix most of them but if I express it a whole lot of people will think I am a very bad person.