"Your" words of advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    1. Find a good teacher.
    2. Learn to play by ear first and worry about written music later.
    3. Practice.
    4. Don't join a brass band until later in life, as the emphasis on playing exactly what's written stifles creativity in your playing.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    1. Quit wasting time on a forum about trumpet playing. Get out and live, play, work, practice, learn, or at least get some sleep.

2. See number 1.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    1. Learn to sing.

2. Don't listen to Dale Proctor. Join a Civil War band! Think of all the groupies in hoop skirts!

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    #10 – I developed a “Set-List”, not of songs but of how I approach the horn on the good days. What I do mechanically before I play a note, or how I set into the horn. This takes a few months and requires you to really be in the “Zone” and be very alert as to exactly what your body is doing when you play. Once your list is established, you do not play 1 note without looking at your set-list. Over time this list goes into muscle memory and before you know it your bad days are almost zero and your good days get better and better. All my students use this and it works wonders…It’s all about muscle memory and repetition !!

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    What a great list BB. If I as a young player had paid attention to half of those back then, things would be at a much higher level now!
    4-6, 9, 10 are my favorites for that reason =)

I would add "Listen to recordings of great players". We learn much from listening.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Only one:

1. Get an N+1 vaccination BEFORE registering on TM.

Turtle

7. jdox

jdox New Friend

Feb 7, 2012
    I've frequented TM a long time, and have just registered, this my first post.

I would definitely have practiced more. Trumpet playing came too easy and I was able to 'get by' without much practice. Therefore, I never got very good and thought band was more work than fun. I loved concert, but marching... not so much. It wasn't until in my 30's that I picked up the horn again and found the joy of playing. It is amazing how hard it is to teach this 'old dog' new tricks.:roll:

8. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    Find the weakest point of your playing and beat it to death , find the next weakest ..Lather rinse repeat!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Noooo immunity to this one... Turtle... That Martin Committee's going to get you!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1. Eat when you can eat.
    2. Drink when you can drink.
    3. And don't mess around with symphony orchestra's

kingtrumpet likes this.