"Your" words of advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    All the above, also.

Get a pro horn as soon as possible, as soon as your sure the trumpet is for you, beg borrow and beg some more to get a decent horn. I spent a long time on an old beater of a student horn and, as it will get you somewhere, a pro horn will be a "little" easier, but a lot nicer to listen to for you and everyone else around.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I like flacomans the best, something I totally didn't do years ago playing sax. And it's related to one of the OP's list: be a musician that's a trumpet player, not a trumpet player. An instrument X player is someone who knows enough to play a gig list and impress the girls. A musician who plays X is someone who can play anything and impress other musicians (or at least earn their respect trying).

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But if I can be the musician that plays X on instrument X; can I stll impress other musicians AND get the girls?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Throw away the "T" ! Can't then becomes can. Such applies to all efforts in what we undertake to accomplish.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Throw away the C and Can't becomes an't, which is a creature that can lift 10 times it's weight!

Now my Aunt is a different story, she IS 10 time my weight, and cannot lift a damn thing!

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    1- START YOUNGER!!!
    2- Learn piano first (so you don't feel like your "home base" is only treble clef...learn treble and bass at the same time).
    3- Focus on the basics first, don't get ahead of yourself.
    4- DON'T GO CRAZY (and waste time with) ABOUT "HIGH NOTES" AND RANGE IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!! FOCUS ON TONE AND MUSICALITY!! RANGE WILL COME NATURALLY!!! TRUST ME!!!! And yes, I would yell all of that at myself!
    5- When you go to get your first pro horn, don't just try the Xeno and leave with it. Try out way more horns in your price range, (could have gotten a B&S).
    6- Play more french horn and euphonium. (Trust me, it makes sense)
    7- Shoot your mouthpiece safari guide in the head right when you meet him.
    8- Buy a flugelhorn sooner, you're more of a flugelhorn player.
    9- Play with better players way more often than you do.
    10- After you're done with all of these, get back in the time machine and get lessons from the following: Dizzy Gillespie, Art Farmer, Claudio Roditi, Roy Hargrove, Clark Terry, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Marsalis, Jon Faddis, Arturo Sandoval, Till Bronner, Adam Rapa, Rashawn Ross, Scotty Barnhart, Charles Mingus, Ronnie Cuber....etc etc....there's too many for one post!

Kujo

P.S.
    4 1/2- Don't do marching band. You'll hate it!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Doc Onady, if your aunt weighs 10 times what you weigh, who is playing your horn and your stand-in for pix? By your pix, you weigh more than 100 lbs, and I've never seen anyone that weighs 1,000 lbs ( 760 lbs was the most, and they had to make a custom casket for her. Took her to the cemetery on a flat bed truck as they couldn't fit her casket in a hearse. Too, they couldn't cremate her also due to her size.)

Orkin kills the ants on our property here.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM weighs in at nearly 200 lbs, but he is tall -- and YET -- he is a few pounds overweight (just ask his doctor) -- he doesn't get enough sleep, and not enough exercise --- YET, he is a good doctor -- they are the worst patients (just ask a doctor they will tell you) -- YES, GM doesn't eat all of his vegetables either --- he only select the few that he likes --- and YET, ALL of the GREEN vegetables are good for him!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kujo, as you know, Claudio was my teacher for 18 months, and here is a post of Ronnie Cuber playing with OUR pianist from the EBQ, Kenny Drew Jr., just one month after our gig at Gilly's in Dayton. So can relate to 2 hits from your bucket list:

Ronnie Cuber at Novisad Serbia Jazz Festival 2007 - Coco B - YouTube

PS: Kenny Drew Jr, is our pianist on our band's CD.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    1.) Find the prettiest female trumpet (or even clarinet) player/ instructor.
    2.) heed every word she says -- or at least pretend I am listening
    3.) actually practice at least 3 hours a day
    4.) Practice everything -- range, slurs, scales, tonguing, and musicality
    5.) practice some more
    6.) develop a secondary career for your trumpet teacher (make sure along with teaching, she is improving her life by getting a professional career (doctor, lawyer, businesswoman, etc., etc. etc.
    7.) try to develop the idea that you can play trumpet, and DONT compare yourself to anyone but Chris Botti, and the other pros, who are making money -- that is your goal -- to make good music, and good money
    8.) also take up some low brass, to enhance your appreciation for music, and help with your trumpet embouchure
    9.) also learn percussion to help you with timing and rhtym, just in case you can only find gigs in Jazz
    10. ) make sure you have listened to EVERYTHING your beautiful teacher has said -- make sure you cultivated GREAT realationship with her -- then after you failed at trumpet, and low brass, and even the drums --- and of course all this time you neglected a real career -- you HOPEFULLY have, or soon will marry your professional career path wife -- and still live your DREAMS!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL yeah, that is the plan -- I hope it works out for me ROFL ROFL ROFL