"Your" words of advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Make what you hear in your head come out of your horn.

2. diego

diego New Friend

Jan 25, 2012
    Don't play clarinet because your father says trumpet is too loud and boring.
    20 years after is a long time to get back to trumpet but is better than never :)

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Oh Gmonady...I still am and always will be envious of that fact.

Nice video! Ronnie Cuber has been a hero of mine ever since the first time I listened to Charles Mingus' song Moanin'. I have a transcription of that solo by the way... Anyway... he's such a beast of a sax player...there's so much soul in that man!

Good stuff as always Gman!
    Kujo

4. groverdot

groverdot New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    Canada
    If I could tell myself what I've learned...

1) You learn how to play the trumpet every day

2) Appreciate music, the ability to play, the privilege to play and what you can do for others when you play

3) Get braces sooner

4) Get Paul's phone number (my current teacher) and get lessons with him as soon as possible

5) Learn how to breathe properly!

6) PRACTICE - hard work, diligence, tenacity and perserverance WILL pay off

7) Play in the high school jazz band!! Don't just stick to wind ensemble and orchestra! (become exposed to as many facets of music and performance before you have to specialize for one thing)

8) Don't go on the mouthpiece safari. Seriously, you will regret buying all of those mouthpieces only to settle for the Bach 1 1/2C.

9) Time management - you will rue the fact that you wasted those high school summers eating nachos and playing Star Wars Battlefront for numerous days instead of practicing

10) Playing trumpet will make you more happy than any other occupation. Because you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. You're going to enjoy every day making music and creating rich, powerful sounds for others to hear and enjoy.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I was being kind as to Doc Onady's weight. I'm 6' and I've been dropping weight everywhere I can. The pot shouldn't speak ill of the kettle.

Still, I now weigh less than 19 out of the 27 Docs I've personally had in my life, and two of the Docs were women who weighed less than 150 lbs, as I recall one of the women had to special order size 4 gloves, yet she kept me from having to need a tracheotomy. Had I had needed such, I wouldn't have made a comeback to playing the brass, and wouldn't be writing here. 5 of my Docs have been Presidents of their respective State Medical Society. Too, I've been attended by an alleged orthopedist who didn't have a license to practice medicine, but otherwise I now don't sit in a wheelchair that he left me in. I've documenatary proof under seal direct from the licensing authority to his lack of a license.

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    My advice...get a cheapo electric guitar and amp...play some power chords and be a rock star. It's a helluva lot easier than the trumpet :)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Especially so, if you use a button device to compress the chorded strings on the fret board. However, with such a rig you'll never become a rock star.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chuck, you trying to get me committed to a psych ward?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know... that still beats duck taping your mouth closed... OK, maybe not on second thought.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    1) Never give up on trumpet playing.
    2) Never give into worldly indulges, be it alcohol, drugs, gambling, that can destroy your life.
    3) Find a career that will pay for your music
    4) I wish we had forums like this when I was younger
    5) Let your soul motivate you.
    6) Practice, practice, practice
    7) Listen to every famous trumpet player you've ever heard of over and over again
    8) Ask for critiques from professionals.
    9) Maintain humility, there is always someone better than you

kingtrumpet likes this.