"Your" words of advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm crazy and I know it ... and so do many others. We've all got to be to play these brass trumpets / cornets or other weird brass instruments. Problem is that there aren't enough psych wards to put us all in, so they let us roam.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here are two things that I messed up big time.

Learn to transpose early on.

Listen to your teacher. The teacher knows more than the other students that say, "he's teaching you the wrong things"

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I, among others, was transposing from the git go, not because we wanted to, but because we had to. During WWII not very much music was available and we were scrounging any sheet music from the community or wherever we could get it. Most of what we got was piano music. Such, thinking back on it, was one reason I switched from French horn to trumpet whereas transposing was a lot easier..

As instrumental music was an elective for grades, those that dissed the instructor had a choice, withdraw or fail if they stayed and the latter would surely mean they weren't selected for band in high school. Again I'll say my instrumental music instructor was also our high school band director, and my private tutor. His curricula vitae was impressive having played cornet with Sousa and Ringling Brothers and a Doctorate in instrumental music. As he and his wife were family friends, I've never been sure if he was paid for tutoring my brothers and I on our brass instruments, but all three of us were selected for high school band and I was selected while still in 8th grade, giving me the chance to play for two years with one of my older brothers, who just before his death in 2006 gave me a Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet so I could transpose the C piccolo part and fully play The Stars and Stripes, Forever!.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    they let us roam, because we are pretty much harmless, and usually only make deleterious comments about woodwind and percussion players, but otherwise, pretty much harmless. ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Haha! The thing, Mr. Rowuk, is absolutely not that I think I am too good for a teacher--FAR from it. The thing is, is that I don't need a teacher to tell me how bad I suck. I know that already.

I took a piano class some years ago, while in my first recording school. During one of my performance tests, while ham-fistedly flubbing my way through (small hands, I can barely span an octave), she looked at me and asked, "....Do you KNOW you are making mistakes?" ....Shocked, I looked back at her. ....I did manage to restrain vast quantities of sarcasm at that moment. I just calmly said...."Yes.....yes I do know that."
    I was proud of myself.

xjb0906 likes this.
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bow and plunkin' strings, keyboardists and above all them dang pipers also.

7. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Finding the best teacher for yourself is vital - even if it means moving city or country to do it!

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Only if you feel you need such, and can afford such. I wouldn't say it is vital for me, but if such were nearby I still would like to have such. I just ain't moving to another country. I've got 7 other fingers (including thumbs) in the Puddin' here. I believe I had the best for 8 years and a good one for two years more.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Now, some advice to myself I didn't post earlier (because I have actually done this) is to push yourself. First - when practicing, from the Arban's book for example, don't dwell on the things you can do and the themes/variations you can play. Sure it's a lot of fun to rip through something if you can do it well, but you aren't accomplishing much that way. Pick stuff you can't play, pieces that you can't even hardly read, and work them out. Slowly at first, and then closer to the correct speed. If there are things that give you trouble in the pieces, like intervals or multi-tonguing, work on those things in the process, too.

Second, push yourself in ensemble playing by joining groups that are almost beyond your skill level. You can learn a lot by playing alongside folks who are much better players than you are. Plus, the music they play will be more varied and demanding. Take what you learn there, and what new weaknesses are uncovered by playing music at a steady group tempo, in tune, and work on those areas in your private practice times.

These two things can really improve your playing and sight-reading skills. It's easy to be a trumpet hero in your practice room at home, but after getting the basics down, exposure to the real trumpet-playing world is where the significant progress is made.

xjb0906 likes this.
  10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    For me, I wish I had done the following:
    1)Practiced more.
    2)Listened to more great music.
    3)Started off with lessons right off the bat! Instead of developing bad habits my first two years....
    4)Wasted less of my time doing online games.... in general just using my time better for a well-balanced life.
    5)Paid far more attention to how the pros sounded, rather than me trying to sound like a "superior" jr. high trumpet player.
    6)Practiced smarter and thinking of ways of improving practice rather than just blindly following the gist of what my teacher suggested.
    7)Researched my equipment to see if it was effective. My band teacher sold me a trumpet with a Yamaha 14a4a mouthpiece! What was he thinking?! (I had no idea on the diff. types of mouthpieces) Was he dumb, or was he selfish and just wanted to sell the trumpet, nothing more? (even though he was a great director)

Yeah, so basically I was doing practically everything wrong. And I'm still doing lots of things wrong.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012