"Your" words of advice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 9, 2012.

1. samorchard

samorchard New Friend

Jun 29, 2011
    This is a really good idea for a thread.

I think If I could go back and tell myself anything, it could be summed up in one word:

"breathe"

Sam

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you do everything wrong ... and I mean EVERYTHING ... it is only then that everything you do will be better. It's kinda like when you're on the bottom of the pile when tackled in football, the only way you can get back on your feet is up.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'd have to give myself a good, LONG talking-to about lots of things, but one thing I'd make sure I didn't do is what I did in 1980--I put my horn down for 12 years after getting my degree!! STUPID!! I'm back playing now, but I never should have stopped!! Anyway, no sense worrying about what happened more than 30 years ago, because until somebody invents a time machine, I can't go back and fix it!! :-)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wow! Whenever a time machine is invented, I'd hope a whole lot more and bigger things could be changed in the world than just your or my laying down our horns. Course, if ever a time machine is invented, by then I'll be dust and not know it.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not exactly advice to myself, but a few years ago, our brass band was conducted by James Watson, and we accompanied Philip Smith on a couple solo pieces. What a honor and great (and terrifying) experience! Anyway, someone took notes during the rehearsal, and below are some of these great men's comments. Some of it was specific to the pieces we were playing, but there's some good stuff here..

James Watson

"Dynamics create color. Highlight all dynamics in your music. Play what is written."

"On each descending run – crescendo."

"Play Proper Note Lengths – lose the staccatos."

“We all need the same inner time”

On your mental perspective for playing – “ physically relaxed, and mentally sharp”

“Every note needs a beginning, a middle, and an end”

“Adrenaline will make you play (or conduct) louder and faster, not better”

“Concentration and preparation will make you play better”

“Every time the third valve goes down, lean into the note with more support”

“Don’t breathe on 8th note rests. You’ll go to hell”

“Precision and dynamic contrast makes the music”

“If it’s too quiet, it will sound scared”

“Let’s do it one more time for luck”

“No short 8th notes”

“Breathing is the key. Breathe out to get the heart rate down and the mind focused”

On being a musician, “Play all sorts of music”

“It’s an old fashioned thing, which not many use anymore, called rhythm”

“In the music world, you give the guy what he asks for, or you hit the door!”

“If you don’t blow, it won’t go”

“There are no off-beats. Everything leads to the next (beat)”

“If you play centered, a good octave will cut through concrete”

Philip Smith

“The whole piece is about the groove”

“Sit on the tempo”

“Don’t breathe on the 8th note rests”

“When you play lower, play louder”

“In a sequence of notes, don’t play the last one short”

“When you play on a main beat, lean into it”

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I said in the beginning of my post that my putting my horn down for 12 years is just ONE thing I would change. There's a whole HOST of others!! I've been hoping a time machine would be invented so I can go back and change all the things I did wrong (could take a while, though--I might not get back to the present till 2016, at least).