youth orchestra auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Riley Ratcliff, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
    I want to audition with the variations on norma for the youth orchestra in my town. the auditions are in june and it sounds alright. my only problem now is that I slow down like 30 bpm during the triple tounging part and sometimes endurance is an issue :dontknow: good idea to keep with it?

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    How many other songs do you know? If you think it is that much of a problem then change; or if you want to stick with it you have a month er so to just practice triple tounging.

I dont know if I am lucky or not but I am normaly the only trumpet to try out for my orch haha so I could mess up a C scale and still be Principal. Oh well maybe someone will try out this year.

Good luck!
    -Justin

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, enjoy your stay. I suggest you get in the Arban book and start on page 155 and work on the triple tonguing section. Start slow and work your way up. The only way you get speed is to work on it daily.

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Spend 1 minute every day K-tonguing 1/16th notes at a comfortable tempo. It works miracles. Can't hurt to do it single-tongued as well.

Stuart

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Word of advice, always pick a piece that shows off your strengths ,not weakness's .

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Assuming that he can actually pick the piece...which is not and won't alway be the case - often there is an obligatory piece and you should make sure to reach the necessary standard.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    True, but he didn't say if this piece was obligatory or picked by him, all I said was when you have a choice ,go with your strengths. I've seen too many kids not get into "all county" or "all state" band or orchestra, just because their teacher thought they would impress the judges by trying to play a piece that was unfortunately over their head.Show them what you can do, not what you can't do.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Al, we are not in disagreement - generally speaking your advice was excellent and still is. If it is a free choice piece, this is definitely the thing to do. My intention wasn't to put any kind of doubt of its value, but to put another perspective - I am not sure about the standard choice pieces in US, but in Europe there are certain pieces that you will encounter in almost all auditions, depending on the level required.

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    S.Coomer, I believe "Theme from Norma" is in the Arban book. Beautiful piece.... By the way, good advice!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I appreciate the above comment from Al. I was recently suprised at a college trumpet clinic I attended. Students more often than not performed pieces above their ability. That may be fine for private practice but to perform in public? I mean, we all want to play Tomasi/Joliviet etc but ...

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010