youth orchestra auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Riley Ratcliff, Apr 23, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Arban cornet solos only work musically if they sound effortless. For an orchestra audition I would choose something that lets you show off an orchestral sound and a wide range of dynamics. The Arutunian, the Hindemith Sonata and the Ketting Intrada were my high school favorites for symphony auditions. They never let me down and I prevailed over many others attempting more difficult pieces.

2. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
    lol well it's too late for those...
    I have the hindemith but I haven't even tried playing it
    I'll work on it for next year

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Where are the decent teachers(students) when you need them?

Most players that I know that audition for youth orchestras have teachers. Judging from MANY of the posts here, there seems to be no relationship of confidence between student and teacher. They prefer anonymous internet advice instead of qualified first hand help. Seems to be a pretty poor substitute.

I often did NOT listen to my teacher either. I never got wide spread support for that immature behaviour though. Boy have times changed.

4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Guys!

You know, when I was a "youth", I auditioned for youth orchestras and for other orchestra events. In those days, we always used a trumpet concerto for our "solo" number, usually the Haydn, sometimes the Hummel. I went out on a limb one year and used Leopold Mozart (on C trumpet! ;-) ).

While a cornet solo can be a great piece to listen to, the orchestra people want to hear orchestra music, like a concerto.

I assume you also have orchestral exerpts that you have to perform... do you really want to have to switch horns and mouthpieces in between?

I hope you have at least one movement of a concerto worked up enough that you can use it and win!

Save the cornet solos for auditioning for brass band! ;-)

Guy Clark

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

For an audition, your teacher should have you working on a piece that highlights your strengths and builds up your weak spots. A piece that shows a weakness is certainly no good for an audition. Hindemith, first movement is a classic. If you can nail Hindemith(not an easy piece to nail), you will be fine. However, you must not abandon the weaknesses that are so frustrating to work through. Otherwise you will find yourself in over your head. Are there required pieces, excerpts, etc?

6. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    It sounds like your triple tounging is not up to par, and I'd guess that your double tonguing isn't either.

I would pick a piece that doesn't use much of either, then.

7. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    I sadly don't have a teacher yet
    I just finally convinced my mom to let me study with andrew gignac, the principle trumpet from the midtexas symphony (offered free lessons (should I be flattered or insulted)) well whatever, free lessons!
    I'm starting with him in a couple weeks

She just used to think that I didn't need one because I have all these arban/clark/etc books. She can be very unreasonable about most things
    But that's how moms should be

I'm playing the cornet solo on trumpet, so I don't have to worry about any switching between it and the exerpts

8. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    but since when I posted this forum I've got this solo down

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That's great. Let us know how it goes.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you did this with no teacher, I am sure our definitions of "down" are dissimilar.

Good luck in any case.