youth orchestra auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Riley Ratcliff, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
    I just came back from the audition but changed the solo yesterday to something that I felt more secure (saint-saens's fantaisie en mi bemol). I know, I know...

I did fine though

2. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    Rowuk, I love your honesty and commonsense approach. Too bad they are sometimes wasted on such young doofs as this. Switched solos the day before an audition? You said you had it down!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think it has something to do with some young adults under 18 being indestructable in their own minds. That does not make them doof, rather willing to offer MUCH less that 100% and a risk for serious conductors that have enough players to choose from.

What goes around comes around and sometimes brainlessness behaviour pays off.

4. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    There are different approaches to auditioning just as there are with anything else. Why not decide to play something that I felt more secure on? How can that hurt?
    I feel that the real immaturity on this forum is with the older members/educators. Of course, you won't agree with students here and there but insulting a student's intelligence is no way to teach and build the kid's comfort with his instrument.
    Do I pay you guys to teach me? Am I a member here to be enslaved by your opinions?
    I keep your advice in mind but there's other advice out there.
    You older members are not the rule bending, divine trumpet pedagogues that yaweh chose to enforce you're all mighty righteously dictating trumpet opinions and I don't appreciate being called an idiot, you doof

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Personally, I think Riley's move was a smart one. He practiced the other piece for as long as he could, but he still didn't feel secure ENOUGH on that piece, so he went with the other one. You don't know his routine; you don't know how much he's practiced on the piece that he eventually decided to play. He could have had the piece that he eventually decided to play "down" months before, so there was little to no risk in playing that. There is nothing stupid about that. There is a difference between blunt, constructive criticism and rudeness. Most trumpet players do have fall back songs! Give the kid a break!

6. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    THANK YOU, LAKERJAZZ
    :thumbsup:

7. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    No problem- sometimes these threads get out of hand. This forum is for advice, suggestions, and opinions, and sometimes rowuk's style helps get the point across. Other times, he can make unnecessary comments like about how you probably didn't get it "down" without a teacher, but even that and most of rowuk's "mean" comments are comparatively light. More shameful is trumpetjump's comment which offered no substance or advice and contributed only negatively to the thread. Sometimes I feel that some people are living vicariously through the people to whom they offer advice! If you offer what you think is good advice, and someone decides for whatever reason not to follow it, what's it to you? It makes no difference to you.

Anyways, I see that it's been a few months now- how did the audition go?

8. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    well, the youth orchestra's of san antonio consist of 5 orchestra's. only the top two include wind/percussion, 3 (maybe 4) trumpets in each. I made the second one but I have no idea of chair placement... but our first rehearsal of the season will be next weekend at our retreat so I should find out then

9. Riley Ratcliff

Apr 23, 2010
    *unnecessary apostrophe in orchestras

10. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Oh alright- congrats

By the way, if you look on the bottom right of your post, you'll see that there's an edit button, so you don't have to repost