youth orchestra auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Riley Ratcliff, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Riley Ratcliff

Riley Ratcliff New Friend

Apr 23, 2010
    Riley Ratcliff, "New Friend" lol

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Riley,
    you missed the message. That kind of proves my point.

Try and put your attitude on receive instead of transmit for a couple of minutes:

If there is something that you want worse than anything else, you make a plan and stick to it. You stated your plan, we commented, and you posted that you now had the solo down. Then you tell us that you basically lied about being prepared. Now, who is who here?

I always choose the common sense version, perhaps don't package it like the ad people that want you to buy something though. You managed to get away with some pretty immature decisions in preparation for this audition. You try and justify that by criticizing the common sense that YOU refused/ignored.

You are right about one thing. You don't take lessons from me. I could have saved you a great amount of indecision. I am not alone.

One thing you will have to think about, if you are so intolerant about getting advice, the internet is not a good place for you. This is a free, open forum and if you ask, you will get answers. That does not "enslave" you. Bad preparation enslaves you.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    rowuk,
    you missed MY point- you can offer Riley advice and expess your disapproval of his final decision, but that doesn't make it okay to personally attack, or as in this case, validate another personal attack. We can all see that you are dancing around the idea that Riley was cowardly and short of confidence in not playing the piece he was originally preparing. I can't see why he would have been despite all of your positive encouragement. When you basically said that he wasn't prepared because he didn't prepare with a teacher, I'm sure that it really helped. My teacher has helped me a lot, but there have been many things I've successfully accomplished without his help, so for you to sneak in that last jive was entirely uncalled for and baseless. You have no clue of the amount of preparation Riley did and the entire basis for his final decision, yet you take a negative stance. You are always the one saying, "only a teacher can see what your problem; we can't help," yet for some reason, you decided that in this case, you could see everything and offered your "help." Your pessimism disguised as the only rational viewpoint is starting to get old-

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It isn't pessimism. How many years does a teacher have to watch otherwise fine players trash themselves before they are "allowed" to point out that irrational is not good? How many players benefit long term from a club robinson approach to getting them to practice the right things? How much of the "advice" here is not based on success with real students, rather imagining that this could be good? How much of the indignance shows up because a mirror was held up at an uncomfortable time?

Sorry, I have been around long enough that I do not let BS be renamed anything else. There is no benefit to anybody. Of course that means that I am not everyones friend. No one HAS to read, comment or otherwize react to any of my posts.

This is an open internet forum and generally for every thread, there are things that we like to read as well as things that we do NOT. The reasons for the former and latter are varied, although apparent to many that have been in the business for a while.

My way is NOT the only way. A bad way is still a bad way though.

The first lesson in life when you want to be successful is to be able to take inventory of your personal skills. When you know where you are, it is much easier to figure out what is even POSSIBLE as a next step. Consistency starts with your attitude, not with practice habits. The analysis of this particular thread could go further, I think that all the agendas are clear. Everyone can decide which one will work for them. I have given my recommendations.

5. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    You've given your recommendations in your usual style as always based on the information given by the OP. However, you've gone on to say unnecessary things whose accuracy you have no way of determining. My last statement was not in reference to your usual advice, which, though blunt, is helpful. It was in reference to comments like "If you did this with no teacher, I am sure our definitions of 'down' are dissimilar." Not only was it unnecessary, but it was also not necessarily true. It seems that you have experienced many situations where being more direct would have been helpful and now you are overcompensating, going beyond being frank and being too harsh.

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    There is nothing to indicate that the discussion is clearly over-

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LJ,
    it is over. You are missing too much. I tried to explain it. Just accept the fact that you are here and I am here. We see things differently based on our past experience. I'll give my advice, you give yours. If you don't like mine, fine. Ask, and I will try to explain. I had a reason for everything that I said. Take another look, you may too see what I saw.

9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Fair enough