Youtube videos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amanitas, Jul 15, 2012.

1. amanitas

amanitas New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    Culver City
    Hey everyone,

I started making some instructional videos to talk about the basic fundamentals of trumpet playing and some of the techniques involved in reducing the strain on your face. Would love to know what feedback y'all trumpet masters have.

Danny T. Levin - Get Better At Playing The Trumpet (And Music In General) - Trumpet Fundamentals - YouTube

Danny T. Levin - Get Better at Playing The Trumpet (And Music In General) - Paradox of Faster Air - YouTube

Danny T. Levin - Get Better at Playing The Trumpet (And Music In General) - What Your Valves Do - YouTube

Thanks for watching!

:D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My feeling is to dream on with internet instruction.

It is not that all the info isn't good, it has more to do with the uninitiated not being in a position to understand what is necessary.

I am VERY happy that drivers licenses require real training by live teachers. If that were reduced to the internet, we would have the same type of crashes that we get posted about here................

Feel free to add other internet tips. Just don't forget that we are creatures of habit. Learn something wrong and it will be with you for the rest of your life.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Way to go Rowuk. I completely concur with your statement.
    I had rather get direct instruction.
    It has saved me a lifetime for further playing

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Reminds me of an infectious disease question i sometime use for testing:

Which of the following does not belong?

A. Human Immunodeficiency Virus
    B. Hepatitis B
    C. Gonorrhea
    D. Condo in Cleveland

The answer is C. Gonorrhea. It's the only one you can get rid of. Old habits die hard, and you may be stuck living in Cleveland with them for the rest of your life!

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with Robin about the importance of real training by live teachers. And I love the driving example.

But I think there's a place for Internet tips. Danny's videos seem to be well-made and are interesting to watch.

BTW Gary ... What do all 4 things have in common in your question? You got stuck with all 4 of them from some fast-talking woman that you're never going to see again. :D

Mike

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Some watching the video may not have access to private instruction and some may be watching for information about the trumpet as they may choosing which instrument to play. Any source of information about trumpet playing (for example ITG Journal) can be helpful and your video, I believe, will benefit those who see it. Again, my opinion as a rank amateur. Thank you.

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    In addition to YouTube vids you may want to start a blog, get your own domain, and a Bandcamp, Soundcloud etc. account

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  9. amanitas

amanitas New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    Culver City
  10. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Really,
    " I did not really know how to play cornet correctly until I was thirty-five."
    H. L. Clarke