ytr-734 yardsale find looks good. what next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tiredbutgoodmom, Jun 5, 2010.

1. tiredbutgoodmom

tiredbutgoodmom New Friend

Jun 5, 2010
    My son (10yo) wants to start in the school band. He chose the trumpet. So, rather than rent, we found this old trumpet (in good condition) at a yard sale. The lady wanted $200, saying that it was in great condition, no repairs. I talked her down to $150. It has the old hard case and two mouthpieces. First, did I get a good enough deal? Second, do you think I need to take it somewhere to have it checked out or will the instrumental music teacher let me know if it needs repairs? Third, how do I clean it, as there are some small "pits" in the finish and some minor tarnish? Thanks for helping a newbie mom and a motivated ten year old! (He is soo happy with this yard sale find!)

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    it's a great horn and if it's in playable condition it would have been a great deal at $200. You should probably take it to a horn repair tech and let them professionally clean it since it has likely been sitting around a long time unused. It probably will cost between $50 - $75 for that and from then on if you clean it regularly, you shouldn't need to have that done for quite some time.

The pitting could be red rot which most horns are known to get over time. Yamaha stopped making that model horn in the late '70s. I think they made it from 1969 - 1978 so the horn is between 30 and 40 years old. The technician would be able to identify the pitting and evaluate any part that might be weakened by it.

This is a lightweight professional model trumpet and the slotting on it is very loose. On brass instruments, a player reaches higher or lower notes by adjusting the buzzing of their lips and some horns lock into these notes more easily than others. If you think of a bugle call where no valve are pressed the player can change to higher or lower notes. A loose slotting horn makes it a little harder to land on the correct note. I'm sure your son will do fine with it, I've had some students your son's age play fine on mine.

Another thing to note is that most student model horns are build like tanks because kids are rough on them. That is not the case with your horn. It has a reversed tuning slide so the bracing between the lead pipe and the bell is farther back than many trumpets. There is also no bracing on the tuning slide so it's a bit more fragile than most student model horns.

I bought mine in 1983 from my trumpet teacher and I've been playing it all the while. I did buy a new horn in 2006, but I still play this one 1/2 of the time. It's an awesome horn and an old friend.

3. tiredbutgoodmom

tiredbutgoodmom New Friend

Jun 5, 2010
    Thank you to the one person out of 46 that took the time to respond to my apparently juvenile and unimportant question. I will follow all of the advice you gave and it is TRULY APPRECIATED, as was the reassurance that I had not spent too much money...it was a real splurge to buy it for him. Again, many thanks.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's a good solid horn. For $150, that's an amazing deal (depending on condition)
    On the open market I'd guesstimate a minimum price for that horn of 2 or 3 times that.
    BUT definitely take it in to a tech. Have them look it over and see what they recommend from there. (A chem/ultrasonic clean sounds like a good plan regardless)

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    After you get it cleaned, I would be glad to send you my paper on trumpet maintanance. Contact me via my e mail. This horn if taken care of will last him the rest of his life. Great buy! Great job mom!

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    IIRC, that should be a ML bore horn( .458-.460)as opposed to the medium bore of my YTR-732( .452), which is approximately the same vintage. these, I think, are patterned after the Schilke's.........Buck:oops:

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Score! I asked at garage sales I was at today, but the closest I got to scoring was, "I had a mouthpiece thing but I dunno what happened to it" lol.

I did get a nice Bach plastic case for $15 at the music store, suitable for carrying a trumpet on a motorcycle or bicycle or bus etc., but to me that's not a score, a score would be that same case for $5 or less at a garage sale. At least there's a "chapstick" of slide grease rattling around in there too.

Congrats on your score!

Yeah, I plan to "hoard" trumpet equipment when I can get it at a deal price.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    You may be assured you did well. Those early Yamaha's were designed and carefully watched over by none other that the great designer himself, Renold Schilke.
    Just have a tech look at it and clean it. They were excellent horns then and still are now.
    Rich T.

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    richtom - Interesting. The old Yamahas seem to populate pawn shops .... Oh, it's old, Oh it's just a Yamaha....

I've ridden many a Yamaha might as well play one.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Do people associate Yamaha instruments with Yamaha motorcycles? They are NOT swcond rate, even the student models. Great buy, congrats.