YTR8335LA tuning problems...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dutchie, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    Hey Gang!

I've been making layaway payments on a Yamaha YTR 8335LA (the Bergeron model) after having put it to the test side by side with the 8310Z (the Shew model). The only test I didn't put them through is the 'Tuning Test' - shame on me...

I recently borrowed it from the store as I do every so often just to stay fresh with it and used the horn with my tuner... only to find that in my usual tuning slide position I was 20 cents sharp at all times! I had to pull the slide out almost 2.5 inches!

At the time I was using my "Shew Lead" mouthpiece and also tried it with my GR65MS. Having the same result, I moved on to my Bach 5C.

Playing with the 5C brought my tuning back to normal however going from a lead mouthpiece to the bach significantly decreases my range and stamina.

I contacted a rep at Yamaha and he mentioned it having the largest "Venturi" of all their trumpets and perhaps that might have something to do with it...

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with this model, or any model even and what they might have done to overcome this obstacle.

An easy answer is simply "Take the time to learn on the bigger mpc" however due to the nature of my performance schedule I can't afford to duck out for a month and readjust to something bigger.

Suggestions?! :dontknow:

- Dutchie

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, No, No

Playing sharp is seldom the horns fault. Especially wit the quality control that Yamaha has. It is possible however that certain horns bring out the worst in us. Two solutions, fix the playing problem or accept it and compensate with other equipment.

In your case, changing habits is tough because of the playing schedule. I would rethink the choice.

My indication that it is you is backed by the problem cropping up only with a lead piece, but not with a standard one. We have quite a bit of leeway on pitch with a shallower mouthpiece. That has to do with the basic efficiency of the design and the limited amount of space for the lips.

Playing high on the pitch is VERY common in trumpet players. It is the result of a lot of body tension. Here are some body tension tips:

David G. Monette Corporation

Many players switching to Monette have exactly this problem. Most get over it quickly, but some end up selling their horns due to incompatibility.

The benefits of solving the problem are more endurance, more flexibility in the sound and probably more range.

Next time that you try the horn, leave the tuning slide at its normal position and "lip down" to play in tune (it is actually not lipping down, it is letting go). See what happens after 30 minutes. It could be a revelation! Let us know.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I agree completely with rowuk and will throw something else in the equation. I'm just an average player [but do enjoy playing] and know that my tuning slide position is sometimes dictated by how physically tired that I am. If I am tired I play sharp because [I believe] that I am pinching my emboucher. Playing the trumpet is a pysical excercise [besides mental] and we should try to be well rested to play our best. That last statement came directly from "Doc" at a clinic.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi Dutchie, another thing that everyone else has over looked is the gap between the end of mouthpiece and the trumpet's receiver ,this not only affects resistance ,but also intonation,that could be the reason why some mouthpieces will play more in tune than others.

5. Dutchie

Dutchie New Friend

Apr 11, 2010
    P.E.I., Canada
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot and let you know of my findings.

I've been looking into getting a pop style horn for a while now and this one seems to be pretty cool except for the tuning (which is likely my problem). I play in a ska/rock band so I'm looking to acquire a decent amount of razz to the tone but also have it clean up nicely when we do our more ballad style stuff. This horn seems to accommodate that.

- Dutchie

6. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    I also play an 8335LA, and switch between a large "legit" piece (Stork 2C/25C) and a smaller "commercial" (Stork 2C/VMS) piece. Tuning is not a problem on the LA. I agree with rowuk. It is the manner in which we blow that causes issues with tuning. I find that in order to play the smaller, shallower pieces I must relax more and let the air and mouthpiece do the work. If we try to overblow a smaller mouthpiece we are fighting the horn/mouthpiece and this will cause pitch to go up. Playing in a loud atmosphere, such as a rock or ska band complicates the issue even more as we begin to play louder to be heard over amplifiers.
    Playing on smaller gear requires the player to really find the center or sweet spot and not work so hard. Larger gear, just like an oversized tennis racquet, has a larger sweet spot, which allows for a little more wiggle room.
    Concentrate on achieving a relaxed air stream at all times, let the equipment you choose to play do the work it was meant to for you. Relaxed airstream, proper aperture for the range you are playing in and a strong concept of the sound you want will not only make playing easier but will help with controlling pitch throughout the range of your horn.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I really like the "sweet spot" concept. Thank you!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Keep in mind that pulling out the tuning slide makes you in tune and not a bad player!

9. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Rowuk and teacherchops are right on the money. Try thinking of hot air when you play, like fogging up a window.