Zauss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Warren, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    YouTube - Mark Zauss

Just how good is Mark Zauss? I know it's hard to compare, but I haven't heard many guys play that high. Cat Anderson and Leo Shepherd maybe?

2. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Mark Zauss is good, but there are better guys out there... or just different guys :-p I still think John Faddis has done some of the most impressive stuff I've seen or heard, although I think too many people have built their opinion of him based on the post Dizzy's Band Faddis:

YouTube - Jon Faddis - Jazz Trumpet

There are a lot of other guys that are as good or better than Zauss for accuracy reasons, and one in particular that I can't remember his name... I thought it might be Dave Stahl, but it's not. This guy has a big band and man does he really play! I'll try to find out who it is and get you something on it. But anyway, Zauss is good. I've seen him live many many times, and actually played in groups with him... well one group. We played a few times in the Rollins College basketball band together, although he wouldn't remember who the heck I am. He's loud as hell and pretty accurate. I'm just not digging his improv so much, but that's just my taste. But man, when you're tired and he's playing higher and higher and louder and louder it's pretty impressive. I've seen Bobby Shew live, Arturo, Alan Vizutti, several others, and then Jon Faddis. Faddis was the best hands down when it comes to range throughout the entire horn and probably even upper limit range as well. Versatility makes high range worth noticing!

3. Makke

Makke New Friend

Nov 3, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Wasn't Mark Zauss in the Future Corps drum and bugle corps? Those guys did some amazing stuff.

4. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    Yes he was. That was a cool group.

5. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    Yip, he's loud. Very loud. I like some of his music, what I don't like is the music with his wife singing. No offense, but it's not my taste.