Zen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dizforprez, Oct 8, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Let me explain in terms of the martial arts. As a beginner you know nothing of stance or sword position, so you have nothing in yourself to dwell on mentally. If someone strikes at you, you just fight, without thinking of anything. Then when you learn various things like stance, how to wield a sword, where to place the attention, and so on, your mind lingers on various points, so you find yourself all tangled up when you try to strike. But if you practise day after day and month after month, eventually stance and swordplay don't hang on your mind any more, and you are like a beginner who knows nothing ... . The cogitating side of your brain will vanish and you will come to rest in a state where there is no concern.
    Takuan, 16th Century Japanese teacher, in explaining the shift from unconscious incompetence, through conscious incompetence and conscious competence, to unconscious competence.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    As a person who has studied martial arts for quite a while, I can seriously state that the arts has made me a better musician. How so you might ask. Well, for starters, martial arts is about control, mainly control of oneself in the way of posture, mentality, and BREATHE. Yes, the martial arts (no matter what discipline or style) does teach you how to breathe, kinda like the yoga stuff going on. After all, we play wind instruments and we rely on air power to vibrate our lips and produce our tones. This is all very interesting stuff... But you practice/play with such concern on focusing the air and gettin your sound that you stumble all over the more technical aspects of the horn. As you progress through the stages of being a musician you do not have to focus all the energy on breathing anymore as it is more routine, then you start nailing the technical stuff, and yadda, yadda, yadda. It just builds up. Eventually, you are playing high level caliber music and relaxing and having a good time and focusing on the MUSIC istead of remebering allt he "stances" to perform a certain technique... Hope my ramblings made sense. I have honestly thought of doin' my Master's Dissertation on this topic. Either this or musical personalities in different cultures. I wonder if Japanese trumpet players have ego's too.. lol. Take care all.

The point of martial arts is not for you to defeat your enemy, it is to let your enemy defeat himself through you. -- unknown

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    hi bear, thanks for your imput.

While I have not studied martial arts the philosophies expressed by some of its teachers seems to be perfectly in line with how I believe one should approach the study of music.

You can call it Zen or you can call it song and wind, the goal is the same….let it be about the music.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    roger that diz, roger that.

5. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Completely refreshing guys. Thanks!

--Kevin