Zero gap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Oct 15, 2013.

1. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
    Mouthpiece gap is critical to maximizing the playability of your trumpet mouthpiece system. For more information take a look at this page and be sure to watch the videos at the bottom of the page. Enjoy.
    https://stomvi-usa.com/mouthpiece-components/

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Gap considerations notwithstanding, I have never come across a multi part mouthpiece which will play as good as a one-piece. The more joins there are in a mouthpiece/trumpet system the more difficulties in response. Remember a screw thread is bearing together by less than 50% of its surface area.

3. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    i have been experimenting with O rings in place of shims

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They are plastic rings. They will not do damage. The situation is, when you install them, they are only for the mouthpiece for which you measured the gap. If you insert another mouthpiece with a different backbore, its likely game on once again.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Careful, O rings tend to play when you play within the realm of outer space!

6. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    For whatever it is worth: The kit I received from Jason are brass, not plastic.

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Interesting. My two and even three piece MPs are far superior to any one piece I have ever played, but that is because of the ability to dial it in. It would be interesting to have a one-piece made that is an exact copy of my Multi-piece MPs and see if there is any difference.