ZeuS Finish Change

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dmb, Dec 6, 2003.

1. dmb

dmb New Friend

Nov 6, 2003
    Alex has made a change in the Antique Silver horns. The new finish will be a combination of brushed silver with polished silver accents and inside the bell. It looks even better and really highlights both finishes on the same horn. You can see pics here:

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/ZTR900CASpics.htm

Let me know what you think.

Dan Burton

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    That is one HOT horn! I can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Dan,

I don't know what it is, but that brushed silver sure is an eye grabber!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    How does the maker get that brushed look. Is it part of the plating process or is something down to the metal befroe? Anyone know?

5. Zachary Music

Zachary Music New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Silly question trptmaster,

You know I tweak all my horns!!!
    The manufacturer makes the horn then they send it to me to be tweaked.
    I get some heavy duty steel wool and scratch the heck out of it including the valve pistons and the inside of the valve casing for faster valve action. I do this while watching my Suzy do her housework.
    Then I send it back to the manufacturer to have it silver plated.
    At this point I should charge and extra $1500 for the tweaking process but being the poor businessperson that I am I only charge $50 more. I will never get rich from this but boy I sure get off on the scratch job.

I am now working out a different tweaking process for the Olympus where I will smoke massive amounts of drugs and take magic mushrooms. The Olympus is a special horn and it will receive special tweaking. For this I will have to charge a lot more to cover the cost of the drugs.

Sorry Andy, I did not get a chance to tweak the prototype, so its not as good as it could be but the rest will be tweaked if ordered that way.
    Alex

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Ok Thanks. So how does the maker of these insturmnets.. or any instrument for that matter get that brushed look? Anyone know?

7. Zachary Music

Zachary Music New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    trptmaster,

You want me to give you another way that a brushed finish can be achieved?
    Just as long as you promise not to tell anyone. OK? Just between you and me.

Instead of buffing the horn with a cloth buffing wheel and red rouge to a mirror shine, they instead take the cloth buffing wheel off the machine and substitute it with a metal scratch brush. Instead of making the metal of the instrument shiny, this nasty metal wire scratch brush puts millions of tiny little scratches all over the horn surface.

Then they simply lacquer it as they would a regular polished horn or silver plate it.

Bright silver plated horns are first polished to a shine and brushed silver horns are first scratch brushed. After this they both receive the exact same silver plating process.

So there is no tonal difference between a scratch-brushed horn and its polished variation.
    Unless you believe that millions of tiny little scratches change the tone.

Alex

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for the info... SO is this the same process someone like Monette would used to get that brush gold look?

9. Zachary Music

Zachary Music New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    This is the only way to do it. Anyone would have to do it the same way.
    The finish is in the brass under the lacquer, not in the lacquer itself. The lacquer is just a clear coat on top of the scratch-brushed surface.

Another variation of this finish is sandblasting instead of scratch brushing. Here the instrument is sandblasted instead of scratch brushed. It looks similar but a bit different.
    Some of the ZeuS saxophones are sandblasted and then lacquered or plated.
    Look here:
    http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/ZAS750AGpics.htm

Alex

10. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    I always wondered how they made the brushed finish! :shock:

Blessings,