ZeuS G Flugelhorn? ever played one?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JoeWats, Apr 11, 2004.

1. JoeWats

JoeWats New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Texas
    Have any of you guys or girls played the ZeuS G Flugel?

I sure would like to hear some first hand info from players.

Also, is it smaller and more compact than the Yamaha and Getzen Flugels?

My current flugel is a Getzen 4 Valve Eterna ... a large flugelhorn.

Thanks,

JW

2. DGrimaldi

DGrimaldi New Friend

Mar 9, 2004
    I have a ZeuS flugel on order and will let you know my impressions after I try it out. :p

3. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    Hello Joe! Hope all is going well!

Yes, I have played a ZG flugel - they are incredible! Got to spend the most time with a ZG flugel in silver...and it still had a great flugel sound! You know the ZeuS story...great finish, valves, sound, etc...

Size wise, it is very similar in "size" to the other 2 flugels that I have spent time with...a DEG Signature model, and an E.M. Winston Pro.

Yes, the ZG blew them both away, IMHO!

Blessings,

4. Cornet

Cornet New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    My ZeuS flugel is a polished copper bell model and it plays very nicely. Compared to the Kanstul Signature the sound is not quite as "dark", but the ZeuS is easier to play.

One important thing for me is that it is not a big culture shock to jump from my cornet right to the flugel. Some flugels take some getting used to after playing other instruments, but when I pick up the ZeuS flugel I don't have any problems adjusting right away.

5. bgood

bgood New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Eastern Washington
    zeus flugel

No, I haven't tried one, but I wanted to. I think they are a beautiful instrument. I emailed the Reverend to see if they were available and there was a considerable wait for one at the time. And besides, the quoted price was quite a bit more than what I ended up with; a new Arturo Sandoval copper flugel. I still think they are a good looking instrument, but I am totally happy with the Leblanc Arturo model. Good luck in your search or trial Zeus!!

6. Drez

Drez New Friend

May 4, 2004
    I've been playin' a G arl for about a week now... I was previously playing (about 10 years) a Yamaha 2310s (student model)... quite a difference... I had no idea how hard I was working on the Y. When I bought the Y, I wanted a flugel exclusively for solo work, up until now it's been, well, adequate... I personnally prefer the sound of trumpet with tenor sax (like salt and pepper to me), so that's what I do most... But the G, while playing sounds to my minds ear exactly what a flugel horn should sound like - phat, warm, lyrical - like butter, instead of margerine. it slots soooo much better than the Y... For example, I use Kenny Durham's trumpet solo on Recorda-Me (Joe Henderson "Page One") as a practice exercise. I play it over JA's play-along or BIAB,,, anyway.. Playing the passage on the 4th chorus where he goes up to the F and back down is very hard to play cleanly on the Y... in fact I don't, I play it on trumpet... but I was running through it last night on the Zues G flugel consistently (I think I played it twice through) and it sounded so warm and airy - sweeet ... Another example... the band I'm playin with plays Soulive's tune ALKIME, and I'm playin the lead on that and of course Soulive has an alto sax playin it, so the second phrase where it starts on the low G was problematic on the Y... It's like night and day playing it on the Z... really, I'm not hyping this up... the horn plays like that all the way through my range.... I've adjusted to the vertical grip and the horn feel's lighter (to me) than it looks, but that may be my perception due to the brushed finish.. the bore change is no stress at all ... the mechanics are all done nicely, everything fits well, valves, springs, slides, tuning slide... you can tell it's hand-made, like holding art... the double-case is a nice touch... I already had one, but I really appreciate getting another one. I got gigs coming up the next two weekends so I'm looking forward to mic'ing it up with the band. I play jazz and R&B, horn section work and yes, I'll even play Go-Go if the band is tight (there's no flugel work in Go-Go), so my perspective may not be the same as some, but if you are not satisfied with your current flugel set-up, I highly recommend playing the Zues G Flugel, before layin down all that cash on a Ferrari, I mean Callichio... The G sounds, feels and looks very good!!! Best Regards to all you players

7. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I had the opportunity to play one last night. Bear (my friend Tim) recieved his after a pretty good wait. Wow. Nice horn. I like, I like a lot.

Here's my question. Maybe the good Reverend can help us out. How much difference is there between the ZG flugel and the Artist model Zeus? I would be interested to know. Anyway, if you get a chance to play one....do it....you'll be impressed. Maybe when I have more time I'll actually write up a real review. Take it easy!

8. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    ScreaminTrumpet,

Per the specs:

ZeuS ZFH 800
    Specifications: key of Bb, vertical slide arrangement, .460 bore, 6" bell, three Amado waterkeys, Monel valves

ZeuS ZFH 900
    Entirely hand crafted in the USA by one of the world's leading manufacturers,
    Single piece, hand hammered, 6 inch bell,
    .415" bore,
    Hand fitted Monel pistons,
    Bottom sprung valves,
    Genuine pearl finger buttons,
    Traditional brass valve guides (not plastic)
    (These valve guides are noisier than the modern plastic guides but I wanted to be true to the original vintage design)
    3 traditional lever-type waterkeys,
    3rd slide trigger,

I think that the biggest difference will be in the making of the bell, and the bore size. These two items greatly contribute to the "sound" that most look for in a flugelhorn.

However, the better expert in this matter will be Alex...hopefully, he will respond to your question in a more thorough manner!

Blessings,

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok,
    The wait is over and I have received my flugel. I am playing a gig this weekend (wedding) which involves some flugel work so I'm looking forward to it. But we did have rehearsal today.. The other brass players (sextet) and especially the other trumpet player thought it was amazing.

For me: I purchased the copperbell 900 model. The sound is mellow and warm. Just really rich and vibrant. "like cuttin butter with a hot knife" I beleive intonation has more to do with one's ears but I didn't have nearly as many faulty notes as on other models (Bach, Getzen). The action of slides and valves were superior. It is a small flugel so you can consider this the underdawg to the other "montser" big bore flugels. Even though in my book the Zeus just whipped the tar out of everyone else. I really don't know what to say about it. Just try one out. You'll be impressed, it'll leave you speechless. I would suggest gettin' a different mpc though. The Zeus rims and bites are really narrow/sharp. Personally, I like the fatter rims.

BTW Rev, the other players loved the sound and the trumpet player is thinkin' about gettin' one. lol

Bear

Zeus Olympus w/Monette B4L & VS
    Zues 900 Flugel w/Bach 3

10. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I got to play Bear's flugel in a gig tonight, and all I have to say is....WOW. I fell in love with it right then and there. It is perfect for that small bar, combo setting. I just loved the nice mellow tone. It responded to everything I did. Then we had an amazing flugel player play it, and he had the same thing to say. Watch out, I'm gonna buy one one of these days....as soon as I can put together the funds.

JGW

p.s. To the Texas Zues dealers,
    I am looking to buy a new B-flat this summer (and hopefully a flugel). I would like to play a couple different finishes on the Olympus. I think I am leaning towards Zues. I would like to take a road trip out to your locations, and try out some horns. Gimme a hollar.

e-mail: [email protected]