ZeuS in the Rocky Mountains!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Yoder, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Well, I saw that there is a new ZeuS dealer in Europe. Not to be out done, I figured that I should let everyone know that we have a new ZeuS dealer in the Rocky Mountains. http:/www.co-bw.com 8)

Now, to truly prove ones worth then they should scale 14,110 feet up Pikes Peak and play "America the Beautiful" (it was written on top of Pikes Peak) using their favorite horn. My bet is that the typical person will not make it through the entire song without passing out first from oxygen deprivation! :shock:

Anyway, check out the site. The 10% off is good for a short while. I do give 5%-10% of all my profits to the local public school music programs. 8) http:/www.co-bw.com

Ron

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Ron,
    I ain't a dealer (of Zeus anyways, hehehe ((j/k)) but welcome aboard. Peace all.

Bear

3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester New Friend

Aug 9, 2004
    Belgium, Brussels
    Careful with those flippant remarks now Bear,

we're being labeled "Friends of Zeus". Kinda Ominous sounding, no? :lol:

Hi Yoder!

Saw you have some great posts up. Nice.

4. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    :D :D :D

Welcome Ron!!

5. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    I also heard that there was a Zeus dealer on Mt. Vesuvius and on the planet Saturn as well.... Go ZEUS! HA.... Just kiddin' guys. Sounds like Zeus is spreadin it's wings sort of speak!

6. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Naw, we have just decided to kick Jupiter off of his thrown! 8)

Well, let me tell you a story. I was asked to show some horns to a guy who plays in town and teaches both privately and publically. He has been looking for good, yet resonably priced horns for his students. Anyway, I get to his place with all these horns in tow and go into his house. As soon as I sat down he pulls out this horn and says "check it out!" It was a Bach Strad that he bought about 30 years ago for $200 while in college. I looked at it and admired its worn look (I like things that look old--except my wife!)

I then pulled out a Guarnarius, and let him play it. He would play it a while and then play his Bach. He did this for about 15 minutes. He put the horn down and said (I swear to both ZeuS and Jupiter): "this horn blows my Bach away. I can hit notes I have never hit before." His first comment was on how much heavier it was and how he could feel it resonate in his hands while he played. Luckily for me, he is trying to get a contract with the school district for me now--I found this out this morning. (I give the schools 10% of the purchase price back.) Now, that was my honest story. That being said, I would like to ask all of you a question--please be kind, yet frank. :wink:

I have shown a lot of ZeuS horns and nobody has spoken an unkind word about any of the instruments. I have one client who is trying to unload a $4000 Keilwerth alto sax to buy a $1500 ZeuS ZAS 750 (he said there is no comparison in intonation.) I just started selling ZeuS. My question to myself is: if these horns are so great, which they are, then why are they not on the radar screen (please do not bring Alex in). I think that maybe we have a perception of we get what we pay for. If we pay very little, relative to the competition, then the instrument may be perceived as a piece of junk. So, do you think if people sees an instrument selling for $1000 that is competing against one going for $3500 that we make a snap decesion that the lower priced one is junk? :shock:

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Because band directors have never heard of them. Until Zeus gets to a point where they are commonly seen in schools (or they go on a very large advertising run) the average player will never hear about them.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the quality of the horn, for example, most adult players have never heard of Eclipse, Wild Thing, Kanstul, Calicchio or Straub trumpets, yet they are very well respected as upper end builders.

8. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    I agree with you gzent. But, I have offered intstruments to parents for $375. They can lease an inferior instrument for $30 a month. I tell them that after one year they will spend $15 buying my instrument--which they would then own, versus leasing. I explain that they can then sell the horn for maybe $300 if junior didn't abuse it. Yet, they choose to lease adn loos money. The band directors around here are pretty impartial, but there seems to be some strange marketing dynamic going on with parents that I don't fully understand. :?

9. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    Yoder,

Welcome to my world! This is the same dynamic that I have experienced here in Texas. In my neck of the woods, there is one VERY big dog...H&H Music (part of Brook Mays). They have been around so long, that all band directors tell their students to get their instruments there. H&H pretty much seems to have the market sewn up. Must be why they can sell a Bach Strad for $1700 +, and not think twice about it...and the parents are lined up to purchase them, at that price!! :x

Slowly, very slowly, I am getting the name out there...but not because of a lack of effort! Just got approved through the local ISD as a "private lesson program" instructor...hopefully this will open some doors. AND, in order to just "present" at next year's "Beginner Instrument Display for Band," I had to go through an application process (17 pages total, mostly narrative because that it what they wanted)...and I still don't have an answer as to whether I (my business) will be approved.

I guess all we can do is to keep pluggin' away. If I come up with any great marketing plan that works, I'll surely let you know...hope that you will reciprocate!!

Blessings,

10. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Yea, I read about that May's lawsuit coming out of Boston. Things look tough down in Texas. I am setting up my site so that we sell exclusively to schools for substantial discounts. I will pass on all that I learn. I did just learn that the district I work for you can apply to be a registered seller for that district. So, I am waiting for the paper work.

Thing I do not get is if a parent could buy a good horn for $375, then why would they lease one for two years at $30 a month, or even a year. A year lease they spend $360 and have no horn. :?