Zeus Olympius

Discussion in 'Horns' started by AndrewK, Feb 11, 2005.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    I have only recently heard of these horns via the Internet in my quest for a new horn. I have read a couple of reviews as well and they appear to be a very well built horn (especially for the cost) I talked with Alex regarding ordering one and he was pretty helpful so I think I may proceed with my purchase of one of these horns in the near future.

My question is, what is the approximate weight of these horns? I read some articles that say it is a very light horn, and then others had claimed it is a heavier horn. Which is correct?

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    The Zues Olypus is a lightweight horn. I love mine.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    But anything would be light to a big bear with shades -- especially a ZeuS Olympus! :-P

Jim

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hardy Har Har Doc.... It is lighter than all my previous horns I've owned so therefore, it is lite to me... how's that? lol

5. Reverend

Reverend Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Greater Houston area
    ROFL

No, really, they are relatively light weight horns. What I think helps in this regard is the "valves forward" design, which makes the horn feel quite "balanced."

I love mine!! :cool:

Blessings,

6. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I love mine! :D :D :D

I've owned an ARLX for about 1.5 months and play it everyday. It is superlight (I don't have a scale), the lightest I've ever played. The balanced design is awesome, makes for easier playing, less stress and fatigue.

The thing I love about it is the way I feel each and every note as I play. The minimal bracing allows the whole horn to vibrate throughout my range and this provides instant feedback to any intonation problems I encounter.

Don't hesitate to buy from Alex. And don't forget to get the Aegis mouthpiece to go along with it, you'll find it a perfect match to your horn!

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    What do you guys mean by "valve forward design"? The pictures I see show the valves in the "normal" position, not at all like a Selmer Paris Balanced Action trumpet where the valve section is a couple of inches closer to the bell-end.

I never liked the feel of the BA horns, but that's probably because I've spent decades playing normal trumpets. My trumpet (not a Zeus) feels balanced in either hand and I agree that's a nice feature.

Dave

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Valve forward mean simply that. They are more "in the center" of the horn than closer to the player. From comparison between my Bach 37, Callet Jazz, and Olympus; the olympus valves are about an inch further towards the bell creating more of a "centered" feel. IMO. To each their own, it works for me.

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Isn't the horn in Pwillini's avatar an Olympus? If so, that's not very far forward, if at all. At most, it's a fraction of an inch. In comparison to a Henri Selmer Balanced Action it looks "normal." Maybe I need to find another picture of an Olympus.

Anyway, looks don't matter, if it feels good in the hand that's great point of comfort.

Dave

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Dave,

I feel a bit compelled to reply. I made the Olympus avatar. A bit of the leadpipe has been cropped (oops). Also, the bell is 5 1/4 inches so the perspective in the picture is a bit off. And the small pictures don't give a great view.

As I recall having has several go through my hands, the valves sure felt forward some. It is very balanced for a big bell horn. However little or a lot they are forward, it is nicely balanced.

Jim