ZeuS Olympus, what are the true feelings

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Zan, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Zan

Zan New Friend

Jan 24, 2004
    I am looking to buy a new horn with a Dark sound. Money is not realy an issue (but lets be reasonable I am on a budget). I need real info about the new ZeuS Olym. ie: have you played one, not just your oppinion about your favorite Bach etc...
    Thank you
    Zan
    Let me make an additional (?), what are the oppinions about the look of the "valves forward" design? Is it strange etc...
    I have an order form, and it's just itching to order a new trumpet.
    Thanks again every one

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I personally have not played one. Not many people have (the Olympus is very new). "Trumpeterb" who posts on this forum has the prototype, and if I'm not mistaken, a copper one (?). This is his review of the Olympus, copied from a different thread. Hope you don't mind, Andy! :D

3. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The Olympus prototype is in brushed raw brass. It is a really nice horn. I have had much more time to get used to it since I posted that initial review of the horn. I can now play lead trumpet on this horn better than I could on my previous horns. I just had to find the right mouthpiece combination. It is also a great classical instrument. It does play very dark when I use my bach 1c, and it blends great. I do not regret changing from my Zeus G to this horn one bit. If you are interested in one of these, I could help you out. If you are in my area at any time, you are welcomed to try mine out and see what you think.

Andy

PS. I do not mind, trpguyy, not at all. :) Have a great day all....practice hard.

4. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Dig the string to hold the 3rd valve slide in (see pictures on ZM website). Is it just me, or does this seem kind of flimsy?

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I think that's "one way" to keep the slide from coming off. Monette does it with their horns. It is quiet, it is low cost, and it's a pain if you need to pull the slide for any reason (or limit the extent to which you'd have the slide extend). Bach's system of a threaded rod with stop nuts on it is great but means there are fiddly little bits that can get lost when you are cleaning the horn ....

My personal preference is a small screw that holds against a ring on one of the slide legs similar to Yamaha's device.

I also have a Getzen cornet that uses their plastic "keeper"....I'll be getting that changed to a set screw when I get the cornet overhauled.... the plastic "bit" can rattle around or get broken too easily. (and it ain't very attractive neither)

Please, don't take this as a knock against the Zeus O... I'm just responding to your comment about the use of a string and pointing out that others have precendence AND that there are other "systems" for keeping the 3rd from bashing the bell (or getting lost!)

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Picture:

[​IMG]

Classy --- better looking than a bunch of hardware.

M&C

7. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Sorry, I didn't know it had been used before. It looked to me like an afterthought. I would be concerned about the combination of lack of water key and hard to dissasemble slide.

8. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The string method is not a problem at all. Actually, I really like it. I untied the string, and re-tied it in a different way, and it works very well. I have the string looped around the second valve casing, and then I looped the other end over, not through, the finger ring on the slide. This holds the slide from falling out or being over extended without any problem. If I need to empty any water from the slide, I simply lift the string off of the ring, pull the slide, empty the water, replace the slide, and loop the string back over the finger ring. It takes me a total of about 5 seconds or less to do this, and it works very well. I would not, however, recommend putting the string through the ring or around anything that would require you to untie the string in order to remove it. It makes live much easier if you can just lift the already tied string off and on.

Andy

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    It looks as though the string is going to be replaced with more "rubber band" like device. Around the valves and over the ring -- easily removed over the ring to empty the slide.

The goal of the Olympus was to make a horn with minimal bracing and hardware -- letting the horn resonate! This type of slide mechanism certainly leans that direction!

M&C

10. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    US
    My money says if there was an actual water key on that slide, there isn't one of you who would know the difference by playing.