Zig and Mr. Olson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Jul 25, 2006.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Just got back from a very interesting meeting with Mr. Olson at the Kanstul trumpet factory. Rather intimidating as I had not previously met either gentlemen. We spent most of the afternoon measuring lead pipes on 4 or 5 older Olds trumpets from my collection. A slow laborious process accomplished with large trays filled with discs that vary in size by only .oo2 inches each. Mr. Olson was trying to get info on the differences between all the Olds bore designations marked on the various models M LM SYM etc. Mr; Kanstull was very nice and easy to talk to. He gave me some frozen Halibut that he had caught in Alaska.It was neat to be in the room with 2 guys that were in the thick of it at the factory when they were making horns I've grown to admire so much. I can post some photos if anyone wold like.

2. Trumpeters_Lullaby

Trumpeters_Lullaby New Friend

Apr 10, 2006
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sure, post some pictures. Glad you had a good time!

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I hope that work is part of the History of F. E. Olds that R. Dale Olson has been working on. Olson and Kanstul co-designed the Olds Custom trumpet and of course were responsible for engineering and manufacturing during the heyday of Olds!

Must have been a special time!

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I thought of you HC and some other nice Olds nuts, wish you all could have been there, we could have kicked some tires and had some fun. Mr. Olson mentioned we should do this again maybe invite some of the other Olds fans in and make a day of it, he has a few old horns laying around too. We shall see. He asked if I had a french model, I said no, maybe one of you could help me with that situation........ (':-)'
    I'll get a few photos up.
    One other item, on the counter in the lobby were a few trumpets that had been sent in for repair, Kanstul? No, a rare Mendez cornet, never seen one. You wouldn't know it was a cornet save the script on the bell.Very interesting.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Mr. Kanstul and Mr. Olson[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Hey Mr. Kanstul, thanks for the fish, I had it for dinner tonight! Good stuff, good luck getting more on your upcoming fishing trip and thanks for the great day at your factory!

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Here is better photo of discs.[​IMG]