Zits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrLT, May 17, 2007.

1. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    aka spots, pimples etc. I've noticed over time that the standard of my playing goes up to a certain level then plummets back down - very frustrating. Theres another thread on this which may be relevant but I suspect for the moment the problem might be a spot thats come up right on the divide between the red thin tissue of my lip and the upper part of my face. Its situated ~ 5mm away from the corner of my mouth. I've noticed that my range and endurance has plummetted as this thing has grown and i'm wondering if this is a problem that others have found. These guys have come up before right where the mouthpiece contacts the lip but i've never seen my playing degrade as much as this time - perhaps the inflammation at the corners is preventing me getting a good seal and holding back on the pressure needed to play in the upper register. Its getting me down bigtime.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If it's causing pain, you might be shifting the angle of the horn away from the pimple and throwing your embouchure a little out of whack, plus using artificially light pressure. I know this has happened to me, but unfortunately, I don't have any magical remedies. Sometimes a day off (if possible) to let it heal with get you back on track faster than fighting through it for three or four days. Hopefully someone else knows how to get it healed the fastest!

Jason.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Arrrrgh! I hated those zits on the lip! The only thing that seemed to speed up the healing was the following:

Heat and cool repeatedly (washcloths wetted with hot and cold water). This seems to cause the zit to "ripen" more rapidly.

Make sure the mouthpiece is clean and sterile. Check for raw brass--your problem might inolve a metal allergy (even silver).

Get well soon!

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Oh, Vulgano reminded me of something.

When that zit "ripens" get as much stuff out of it as you can, then take a washcloth or rag and hold it under REALLY hot water, then gently touch the cloth to what remains of that zit (only there, not your whole mouth, it's too hot!). That usually makes the zit...ooze...a bit more, so squeeze it again repeat if needed. That should clean it out really good and it'll heal quickly after that.

Yuck.

Jason.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pedal C is right on the mark. Any pain causes our body to compensate - sometimes conciously, sometimes unconciously. That will change your playing!
    I would be careful squeezing anything near my lips. An open wound is subject to reinfection. Disinfection is an important issue.

6. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Just know that this too will pass. I always kept 90% rubbing alcohol around as a teeneager--if I remember correctly. Good luck....