Zoom H2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thomashooten, Oct 21, 2007.

1. thomashooten

thomashooten Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hi all,

Most of you probably know about this new little device.
    But if you don't...
    I just bought one of these ZOOM H2s. Its a little recording device that records to a SD card with the mics built-in. I find it very easy to use and the sound is good. For years I used the mini disc and a little $100 sony mic. I find the quality on this to be much better and its much cheaper than a mini disc\mic.

This would be perfect for any student looking for a fairly cheap way to get some great feed back on their playing in solo class\practicing\ensemble.
    I bought this at sweetwater.com for about $200

Tom

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Tom,

i'm thinking of buying either a Zoom H2 or H4. Does anyone have a preference between the two, pros & cons, etc.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Basically the same, but the H2 is cheaper and doesnt have the XLR mic inputs.

I am going to do a side by side test between them soon since my friend just got the H2 and I own the H4. I will report back when I do the test.

Tom,

I used to record only solos and excerpts, but recently have been recording things like goldman and other etudes. How much and what in your practice do you record?

4. thomashooten

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They are both as good as the acoustics and playing will allow!
    If you are into recording the external XLR mic inputs are useful. If your focus is your playing, there is nothing wrong with the H2.
    Important: a good recording needs the microphones at least at ear level in the audience.

6. CJH

CJH Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I bought an H2 about a month ago. It's worth every penny. It has an easy to figure out interface (I haven't had to crack open the user manual yet :-)), and it can also serve as a USB interface if you want to record directly into Audacity or Audition or something. I generally just have it in my practice room and record onto the 2GB SD card I bought for $25, but the usb interface feature is useful from time to time.

7. thomashooten

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    When I was in college I recorded practice sessions consisting of anything I was working on at the time. (3-4 times a week)
    While in the Marine Band I was able to get recordings of anything the band did. (not including ceremonial stuff) This was really helpful especially on tour, when I got to play a solo about 12-15 times over the course of a 50 day tour. The sound guy would give a copy right after the concert every night. I would then listen to it immediately so that I could compare my sense of how it went with the recording.
    Lately I've been recording some general stuff that I'm working on with the symphony, 1-2 times a week.
    Another important use for the recorder is in your lessons.
    I can't tell you have many times I recorded a lesson only to listen back and see how many great tips the teacher made that I forgot or just simply missed.

Thanks
    Tom

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  8. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    The H2 is great. I recorded some big band stuff that I played on a while back. Here is a clip of me with the H2 just sitting in the hall about 25 feet away off to the side. Please don't judge the playing only the sound :)
    www.neil-king.com
    www.neil-king.com

9. thomashooten

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hi

What sound quality did you have that set to?

Just curious

Tom

10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ