Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    For any of you looking for a recorder, take a look at this one. American Music Supply is offering it for $299 and will allow you to split the payment into three parts. When you purchase one, you can choose this option and it will charge your card $99 a month for three months. This alone might help some of you acquire a decent recording device without sticker shock. It is portable, contains two mics and has 4 track capability. I just thought I would pass this info along.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item...OOGLE00.html?gclid=CMDp1I7ng4oCFSJGgQodKBXGLw

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Alex,

My minidisk player has been giving me problems recently. It may be time to look into something new. One issue that my Wife has with the MD recorder is that we were never able to figure out how to transfer the recording to CD.

You didn’t mention if you have the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. I looked at the link that you provided and it appears to be a very impressive piece of technology. The one question that I have is, how easy is it to transfer the recording from the Zoom H4 to a CD?

If it’s fairly simply, this may be on my list of future purchases!

Thanks for posting!

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Mine just arrived and I have not tried to use it yet. It comes with Cubase LE and a USB cable. According to what I read, you can record directly to your computer or transfer the data from the SD card to your computer and burn a CD. Sounds like it would work for you Derek. I also ordered a 2 GB SD card from ebay for under $20. The unit comes with a 128MB card.

I will be testing mine out over the next week and let you know if I run into problems. (they have a 45 day return policy with a full refund) The reviews I have found said the learning curve is quick and it seems to do the job. On the surface, this seems like a good device for most of us, whether for practicing or recording performances. I am going to be putting it through a battery of tests over the next week or so. I am anxious to see how the trumpet prints.

4. Chris Houser

Chris Houser New Friend

Jan 11, 2006
    Mpls
    Alex -
    This looks like just the thing I have been searching for! I need something that is easy to use, portable and have good quality. I am looking forward to seeing your results. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks again for the infor.

Chris

5. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Alex, thanks for posting this! I have been thinking about getting one of them, but I didn't want to 'go broke' doing it...that's a great deal!!

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was looking at these online no more than 15 minutes ago. They are coming out with a cheaper version in May, the H2. It will only be $199. I have been looking for days trying to decide on what I want to buy to replace my MD recorder.

Derek - if you need help with getting MD to CD send me a PM.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have to say, so far the user interface is very good. It has a toggle switch on the side for choices and the menus work like an MP3 player. It also has L/M/H level choices for each of the two inputs and also for the microphones. You can listen immediately to playback with headphones as well.

I am guessing the less expensive H2 will be a 2 track version of this player. Do you know of any other differences there will be JC?

After I take this for a few test drives here at the house and on a wedding gig this weekend, I will let you guys know what I think. For practice alone, it is worth it. Or, when the H2 is released, I am sure it will be more than enough machine for recording and keeping track of practice sessions. I mainly wanted to give everyone the heads up that this company will split the price into three installments, offers free shipping (it arrived in two days) and has a 100% refund policy within 45 days.

8. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Jonathan,

Thanks for the offer; however, the record function on my MD has stopped working, so the MD to CD transfer capability wouldn’t help me much at this point.

Alex,

I’m really looking forward to your report card on this new recorder! I remember purchasing my last recorder based on reviews of many players on TPIN and TH. My MD recorder certainly lived up to my expectations (if my Wife had only been able to transfer to CD it would have been perfect) based on the reviews that were written and my personal experience.

I hope this new machine is going to work great for you!

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks great. The fact that it's a Usb interface also means that you could hook up some nice preamps and mics into it for higher quality recording. My suspicion is that this is on the same quality as mini-disc in terms of recording quality. I've also heard rumblings of this unit picking up a lot of "hum" with the internal mics. Anyone who's recording high quality CD's knows that's not good at all. Perhaps bypass the units preamps with a better individual preamp might cure that.

For live gigs, lessons, and novice stuff I think the Zoom might be right up someone's alley.

My Fostex Mr-8 is a fantastic unit for much higher quality "live on-site" recordings but doesn't offer the USB interface for "pro-tools" esque recording and extreme multitracking. BTW the Fostex is for sale, it's great and I'll sell it cheap! ;)

Right now at home I've been fooling around with my laptop, mbox2 mini interface... I'm getting a tube preamp in a few days and can't WAIT to record some stuff on that as well.

I'm working on music for an upcoming CD that I will record totally on my own. Why spend the big money at the studios when you can invest in some equipment on your own to do your own recordings?

I might take advantage of the 45 day trial and compare the units. I'll just hide the credit card statements from the wife ;)

10. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA