Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
  2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The more I mess around with Zoom the more I think the latter review is totally right! This unit is sure fun!

The battery issue is not as much of an issue the further I take the unit away from the bell.
    Stay tuned for more clips soon.
    -T

3. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Thanks for the updates. This is very helpful for a recording novice (like myself) who is in the market for something like this.

Tony

4. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    http://www.trentaustin.com/zoom2.MP3

One quick clip with a tiny bit of studio cleaning, no reverb...

Don't mind the complete randomness of my noodling.

This is in my studio basement with 7 foot high ceilings. I bet in a bigger room, higher ceilings, and more pleasing natural reverb this would sound much better!

I'm keeping the Zoom I think... I'll take it to some live gigs and get a better picture of it.

-T

PS: This was recorded with the battery setting.
    PPS: I was also using my mouthpiece from college for the techies out there, a Warburton 4MD with a Greg Black backbore.
    ;)

5. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Any more thoughts on the zoom? trent are you going to keep it?

6. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    I'm kind of curious as to how suited this thing is for recording bigband gigs. Any of you zoom owners who's going to use it for that purpose?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    This really looks like a useful piece of equipment. I was wondering... my old Sony hand held stereo tape recorder would automatically adjust the volume of the mics. So if the music got soft, it would turn up. If it got loud, it would turn down. This destroyed any dynamic contrast in the recording. My new digital video camera does the same thing. Surely a high priced piece of recording equipment like this would not do that?

Mike

8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm definitely going to keep mine. I think the upsides are so big that this unit wins me over. I'm going to hook it up to some real nice mics next week in a good room and run it through its paces big time.

In the meantime my Fostex is for sale. I'm moving to laptop recording for my high end things.

I'll be putting the Fostex MR-8 up on ebay tonight.
    -T

9. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Mike,

This is usually a setting. Many audio recording devices has an automatic setting which ensures the audio recording level isn't too low or too high depending on the volume of the audio source. As you've noticed this does indeed destroy the dynamics. Look for a button which is named "Audio level" or something similar. If you set it to manual you need to monitor the audio recording level and adjust it so you don't peak out (that won't sound nice).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  10. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown