Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Would the Zoom H4 be acceptable for making auditon recordings? I am thinking of college auditions and or summer music program auditions.

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have been looking off and on for a while now for a low cost quality recorder. I am hoping the plastic case won't be too much of an issue with me, since I tend to baby everything. I ordered mine today with 1 day express mail. I'll use it this week-end.

Thank Alex and all the rest for bringing this devise to my attention.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Also, be careful about their return policy. (restocking fees, etc)

I am very happy with mine and would recommend it for most things we trumpet players need to accomplish with gadgets such as this. I specifically put up the link I did to help the college guys (and the rest of us watching our pennies) afford a good device for recording practice sessions and auditions. I am happy so many of you found it useful and "Thank you" Trent for posting all of your tests and reviews.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used it all of yesterday (taught from 9am-9PM ouch!) up at USM and love the unit for lessons. It's getting better and better IMO.

I'm also going to hook it up Wednesday with a nice preamp and two $$$$ overheads to see if could handle REAL high quality live tracking. If so, I might dump my laptop equipment!

Stay tuned for more goodies, and thanks again Alex for hipping me to this unit. Now I have to stay off ebay (actually haven't bought anything on ebay... that was my resolution) and other sites buying more goodies. My wife's getting upset at all the boxes coming in ;)

Best,

T

5. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Alex --

I noticed in another thread that you had ordered a Korg 4-track unit. Did you replace it with the H4, or are you using it for a different application?

Paul

6. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used this unit for a reference recording at my recent live Miles' gig (hoping that we'd get enough for a CD) and let me say the quality is really great. I hooked it up through two AT mics a few feet in front of the band. It does a killer job I think. I'm sold.

Here's a sneak peek.... www.trentaustin.com/freedom.mp3 (you can't hear the first effect but you will on the real mix). Remember the clip is mp3 quality.

If you want more clips, you'll have to buy the CD when it comes out (hehehehehe).

Thanks again Alex, this is a great tool.

7. Dave

Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All the effects are done with the Digitech Vocal 300. I've modified all of the patches (most are very lame) that are on the unit.

The first one is a envelope/flange combination I made (I called it "blade")

The second one is a 5th up with some funky reverb and slight analog delay.

It's a heck of a cool thing but not as good as standalone floor pedals. The dynamic range of the trumpet wreaks havoc on feedback sometimes. I now just incorporate the feedback into the sound ;) I spent a lot of time on these sounds and feel good that they work. You should hear Tutu... yippee.

I also kept the volume low on the effects so they wouldn't overpower the recording mix.

My engineer says the disc will sound Killer and I can't wait to start working on this.

Now I have 3 CD projects this year :) .

Thanks again for listening. I think the finished project is going to be really neat... and thanks to the Zoom H4 I can do most of my early analysis without harassing my engineer. That saves me extremely valuable studio time. (fade ins/outs, mix concerns, track sequence, etc).

Remember this isn't his mix popped into my player. This was just recorded using two overhead mics about 5 feet in front of the band.

GO zoom!

9. averagejoe

averagejoe Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, after listening to Trent's clips, I'm sold. Ordered and on the way!

Paul

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    cool, maybe they'll send me my cut for free advertising ROFL!