Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  2. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Trent, What software / setup are you using on your laptop for recording?

4. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Right now I'm using Pro-Tools LE with a MBox Mini from Digidesign. The Mini was $300 at guitar center and comes with Pro-Tools. You can't beat it. The only major problem is the laptop's internal sound card which honestly is lame. I have a cheapo Dell that I reformatted to make it run much faster. It's fast, never crashes anymore, but the soundcard does limit me a bit.

I'm going to use the Zoom H4 for a LOT of raw pro sounds. I'll run a nice preamp and my ribbon into the Zoom to get a clean sound. Then I can dump that into Pro-Tools for editing.

5. Tal Katz

Tal Katz New Friend

Apr 23, 2006
    Israel
    Well, I just got my own H4 and am excited to try it out :)
    Seems like I'll have to read the whole Manual.
    Trent, I was wondering. It seems like it's a bit hard to pull out the SD card once it's in. Did you find an easy way of pulling it out ? I'm still trying right now, I don't want to damage the unit, so I'm being gentle with it.

6. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    My Edirol was just delivered today, and I am very curious as to how it sounds. I actually bought the older version (R-1) because I had heard the newer ones (R-09) are noisier. I also bought a mic preamp and plan on using good ribbons for critical recording

Trent, I'm surprised yours runs quieter on ac, as batteries are usually better (no 60 cycle hum, etc). What ribbon do you have?

Jim

7. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mine loosened with a few times taking the card out of the unit. I used tweezers a few times at the beginning! It was made with real tight tolerances!

-T

8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jim,

While I'm still looking for a few nice RCA's at a decent price I've been getting GREAT results with my Cascade "Victor" microphone. It's extremely (!!!!!) good for low bread. Preamp selection is critical on this mic. I think I got mine for around $150. My engineer for my live CD (I used this mic and an Earthworks HD mic on the trumpet) said it blew away the Earthworks mic.
    wow.
    -T

PS: I also record often on Royer, Coles, and RCA's. For the bread it's worth every penny. Unless I was going to go into ProTools HD I don't think I could hear the difference.

9. Tal Katz

Tal Katz New Friend

Apr 23, 2006
    Israel
    Well, I played with this little baby a little bit. So far, I really like it, it's great !
    Now I have to learn how to set it up exactly for what I want.

Trent,
    Would you mind writing about where you placed the H4 when you used the built in mics, and what settings did you use, concerning mic levels and stuff. I'm asking referring to the samples you posted earlier. I still haven't tried playing with different placements and would like to find a good room to record in and a good mic placement.

10. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I just bought the Zoom on Amazon for $265, including shipping. I'd been holding off buying a MD recorder for a few years, since my last one died, in the hopes that a better digital solution would come out. Can't wait to try it!