Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    I've been playing with the Edirol. It rocks! Man, I've got some work to do - I had no idea...:shock:

2. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Jim,
    I know that I have a lot more work to do than you, and am getting ready to face the music (okay, the recorder).

Have you been using the built-in mics, or the ribbon mic via a pre-amp that you mentioned earlier? Do you find the Edirol's built-in mics to be good for recording informal practice sessions?

3. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Hi Matt,

I have not gone to an external mic yet. The internal microphones are actually not at all bad for informal sessions. I am still waiting for some CF cards to be delivered so that I'll have more storage. A 16 bit WAV file gets you about 5 minutes on the provided card, 24 bit about half of that. If you are willing to go down to mp3, the recording times increase dramatically. I did notice that the lower the resolution, the more hiss I - I'll play with this a bit and see if this is consistent.

I have not come close to exploring all of the features of this unit. There are a host of effects that are built into the machine, including eq, reverb, half-speed, notch filter, hum noise cut, noise reducer, "mastering", and a feature that will emulate the sound of more expensive microphones that you can apply to either the internal or external mics. They even have a tuner and a metronome built into this thing!

It has been educational, to say the least.

J

4. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Thanks, Jim. I think it is time for me to just jump in and buy one of these units.

5. Dave

Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  6. Tal Katz

Tal Katz New Friend

Apr 23, 2006
    Israel
    So far, I'm loving the H4. The built-in mics are great !
    I recorded myself practicing and it sounds like me.
    I couldn't hear any hiss on the recordings and I recorded myself in a small, quiet practice room.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been enjoying using this device as well. I give it a thumbs up overall for the price and ease of use. I have it mounted on a small camera tripod sitting on a table and the built in mics work just fine for practice.

8. Tal Katz

Tal Katz New Friend

Apr 23, 2006
    Israel
    Can you guys share your experience with placing the device in different spots of a room, or placing yourself in different spots of a room :) ?

I tried recording myself in a big room at school and I liked it when I placed the H4 behind me, at the height of my ears. It was getting more of the sound that was coming from the wall in front of me. I really liked the sound I got that way.
    I tried various other ways, placing the H4 in front of me pointing at me, pointing the wall in front of me and pointing the ceiling but I didn't really like any of those.

9. johnnyjazz

johnnyjazz New Friend

Mar 21, 2006
    Upstate New York
    I would also like to know what settings and placement others are using for best results. I got my H4 a couple of days ago and tried various settings but none sound as good as I would like. I'm sure it takes a lot of experimenting to get it just right in your own room, but it would help to hear what others are doing.
    Thanks you,
    John Alfano

10. Tal Katz

Tal Katz New Friend

Apr 23, 2006
    Israel
    Another way I tried recording is pointing the H4 up towards the ceiling. Try both when it's above your bell and below your bell. I like the results.
    And I also tried using the Neumann U87 model in the mic settings which was interesting.