Zoom H4 Handy Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 31, 2007.

1. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Another mic/recorder position to try: Have a friend walk around the room as you play. Once he finds out where you sound best, place the recorder there. Then, experiment with height, etc. Usually, if you have a good sounding room (not too dead), a higher placement of the mic/recorder can yield some good results.

Garry

2. gicos

gicos New Friend

Mar 17, 2007
    This sold me. I have been looking at a portable solution for some time to record gigs. We lay down so much gorgeous music that is often not recorded and I plan to rectify that. I want it for live gigs--fests, dixie, big band, and huge concert arrangements (in huge German halls full of thousands). Here's what the author says:

I took the H4 recently on a trip to New York City. To be frank, I smuggled the H4 in to a well-known auditorium and performed a stereo recording test using the built-in mikes. I parked the H4 on my lap and covered it with a scarf (leaving the mikes exposed and pointed stageward) so as to hide it from the ushers. I recorded at 24/96 and blew out what I understood to be fresh AA batteries in about 50 minutes of operation. I thought the sound was very good, even excellent given that my seat was over 40 rows back and under the balcony.

and the file: http://gearwire.com/media/zoom-h4-locationtest.wav

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    awesome.

4. gregplo

gregplo Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2004
    North Carolina, USA
    This is actually quite impressive for built in mics...

5. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Pardon the stupid question (you have to realize I am 45 and techno-challenged) but how does one go about posting sound files. My guess is WAV files are frowned upon due to size?

Thanks.

J

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL

I agree, I think anything wrong with it is more due to location than the actual equipment. I cant wait until the H2 comes out so I can replace my MD recorder.

MrClean,
    If you have audacity, you can open the .wav file, click file, then click export as mp3.
    Then you can host it at Ripway Web Hosting and Online File Storage - upload pictures, videos, MP3 and music files and share your files with the world for free up to 30 MB i think.
    Then post them for us all to hear.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  7. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Audacity is my middle name. What would you like to hear?

8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's a sound file of "I'll Remember April" on the Zoom H4 with no studio leveling, sweetening or eq... just a fade at the end.

I used two inexpensive (but very good) overhead mics and put them on stage. This is compressed to 160K WMA but you should hear the WAV. wow.

http://www.trentaustin.com/tunz/47aprillowfi.wma

Enjoy,

T

9. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Trent,

I assume you were using an outboard mic preamp - what are you running the mics into?

J

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually I used the Zoom's built in preamp (no external device this time) and phantom power. Pretty good stuff, huh? Those are fantastic bargain overhead mics and IMO blow away the (very good) internal mics.

I'm going to run my ribbon into an Earthworks pre for my upcoming solo disc (recording next month after the academic calendar winds down) in May. Bump all the stuff to Pro-Tools and overdub Freddie Hubbard on everything to make me sound decent ;)

Regards,

T