Zues to Bach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Oct 22, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Ok here is my story I played an Olympus for awhile then my niece decided she wanted to learn trumpet. While she continued to play and practice her tone began to improve. I hate to say it but her sound is better than mine..yhea I might know more fingerings and have a better range but if you were to match she would blow me away and she is 11!!!! I am very proud of her. Her improvement makes me practice even more. Ok back to subject..after the Olympus I went with an Phaeton 2030 which is a beautiful horn but after playing for awhile it was not the one for me. I have gone with the Bach Strad 180s37 and so far I am loving it...when my niece and I play duets I finally blend, it sounds beautiful..being 41 and playing a duet with my 11 year old niece I have to say I give her the respect as 1st trumpet. My biggest thing now is getting her to keep her finger tips on the finger buttons. I notice she has a habit of having her fingers "float" while playing........Manny if you are reading this do you have any excersices that might help with this???

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Fingertip floating

I am also anxious to read whatever Manny offers on this one. I have a student in a senior citizens 'Beginners Band' that I have been working with as a mentor who does the same thing. Thus far, getting him to place his 'pinky' on top of the hook has aleviated his excessive mouthpiece pressure and gotten his fingertips back onto the valve tops. I am not sure that what I have taught him is absolutely proper, but, it has been effective, thus far.
    C'mon Manny some words of wisdom, please.

OLDLOU>>

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Have her put a dime between each fingertip and valve top. If she can keep the dimes from falling, she gets to keep them.

ML

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Very clever......this may sound crazy but just the other day she told me that mabey I can give her $2 for every 1/2 hour she practices... :lol: . I think 30 cents a 1/2 hour is more like it....as long as she keeps her fingers on the dimes and does not let them hit the floor. Mr. Laureano you are a genius, not only have you helped Brigitte with her fingertips but you saved me some money!!! :D