Trumpet Discussion Discuss 1973 Getzen Capri value? in the General forums; I hope this is the right spot to ask this question. I am looking for a value for my Getzen ...
    New Friend

1973 Getzen Capri value?

I hope this is the right spot to ask this question.

I am looking for a value for my Getzen Capri Trumpet.
    This was purchased new for me when I was in the 5th grade in 1973.
    It has been in my possession ever since.

It has been in storage for over 30 years as I stopped playing after high school. I have attached some pictures (not that good, sorry) There are no dents and basically needs just a good cleaning.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, what should I use to clean and polish this back to its original beauty?

Thanks again, John

Re: 1973 Getzen Capri value?

These show up on EBAY pretty often. Follow a few auctions and you will get a pretty good idea of a real world price.

Cleaning: I use Dawn, just like you'd use to wash dishes with a snake. Polish with 3M Tarnishield or Haggerty's.

Fortissimo User

Hello, John - Welcome to TrumpetMasters. I hope that I can help with some information that can assist you.

First, let me say that there are a lot of returning players here who put down the trumpet for various reasons for 20, 30 - even 50 - years (we refer to it as a lot of measures of rest) and suddenly had the urge to pick it up again. Some of us were lucky and still had our original horn. Others found that they yearned for that first one and wished they still had it. Your Capri looks to be in excellent condition (some horns do not survive long-term storage so well).

So, I hope that you are interested in joining our comeback player's club here and jumping back into a fun - and challenging - phase of life. But, either way, here is some information for you.

First, the Capri is still made and is a well-regarded instrument. Getzen has a very good reputation for quality instruments and good service so there is no problem in putting your trumpet into top playing condition. Not very many of these show up for sale so I take that as a sign that most people hang onto them or pass them on to their kids. But, the ones that do show up seem to sell in the $300-$600 range depending on age and condition. If you decide to sell it, there is a classified section here (free) but most use ebay. If you are going to sell it and decide on ebay, be sure to start at a reasonable price (such as $99) and do not put a reserve on it. Most trumpets with a reserve do not sell and there is enough traffic on ebay that you will get your fair price. The photos that you have are reasonably good for an ebay listing (just add a few closeups).

If you are going to clean it up, the best way is to take it apart, put it into a tub of hot water with some mild dish soap and gently wash it and snake out the interior with a long brush (don't put the valves with the felts in - just wipe them off gently). If you search this forum, you will find references to putting it into a bath of hot salt water with aluminum foil and that works but I don't see much tarnish on yours so it is likely that simply wiping it with a special silver polishing cloth will do the trick.

So, why not pick up a few lessons to see if you catch the bug. We would love to have you among us. We have a ball here.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Mezzo Forte User

Smile Re: 1973 Getzen Capri value?

Hello johnH. If you were a good player in High School. I would encourage you to start back. Will only take about a month or two to start bringing it back together. There are a lot of Small Churches and Church Essemblys that could use you. I wish I had got started back 20 years ago. I am a come back player from 35 years,soon to be Sixty. Played through High School. I now play third parts with a Lead Trumpet player and a small Church Essembly. Having a great time. On duets and Trio's,really enjoy hitting those low harmonizing notes with the lead trumpet player. JH it can be more fun being a indian brave than the Chief. That is a fine Trumpet to make a come back on. Probably all you will ever need. If you loved it way back when,the fire will return. Good luck.

lmf
    Forte User

John,

Looks like you took good care of the Getzen. The worn case kept the trumpet in good shape by doing the job it was supposed to. It also appears that you kept the trumpet clean and in good shape during your playing days. Getzen has wonderful valves as you already know. It will likely sell on eBay and there have been good suggestions made to do so.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
    Last edited by lmf; 02-15-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Thread Information