Trumpet Discussion Discuss 1st valve problem in the General forums; Ok I am totally fresh to the trumpet world, as having/playing a trumpet for >2 weeks. I have the horn ...
    New Friend

Question 1st valve problem

Ok I am totally fresh to the trumpet world, as having/playing a trumpet for >2 weeks. I have the horn from my school to learn over the summer 2nd and 3rd valve work fine and have no problems. My first valve sounds funny when I press down, I can hear the spring inside the valve scrunching down and occasionally it clicks. The pearl keys on top twist off on 3rd and 2nd valve but not first, while taking off the pearls on the valves I noticed that my 1st valve didn't come off, but rather the top half of the valve unscrewed off the bottom. As if this valve didn't have enough problems it also doesn't stay put like the rest of the valves, this valve will twist and make the holes in the valve move away so i can't get air through the instrument. So if anyone could be of help it would be fantastic..l really have to learn to in a relatively short time period.

If anyone could help it would be amazing
    Thank you

Pianissimo User
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 1st valve problem

Seeing that this is not your Horn. I would contact your band director and tell him the issues that you are having. Honestly, the issues that you are mentioning would be easy to overcome via any Instrument tech. But I wouldn't put money into the horn, even if it is only $30. have your music program take care of it and see if you can switch for a different horn. If you can't, find out which local shop the band sends its horns to for repair and main. and ask the director if it is ok to drop the horn off and have the repairs put on the schools tab.
    While you are at the shop, look at the student line horns and try some out. look into the rent-to-own program if they have one. Nothing beats your own "axe" to help you as a beginner stay consistent!
    PS.= look at the "Decent inexpensive horns" thread. this will give you a good idea of horns to look at.
    "The Horn is just an Amplifier, The person makes the beautiful music"

Benge 90B,
    64 Olds Ambassador mod.,
    65ish Olds Ambassador Cornet
    Conn 1050b (My 1st Trumpet)

Wishlist: (Let me know If you have played one)
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 Signature
    Kanstul ZKT 1500A Signature
    Phaeton FX Antique Brushed Finish

Sounds to me like the spring in the valve is not centered, and it might be missing the valve guide.
    Unscrew the top valve cap and check that there is a plastic or metal ring-like object that moves up and down underneath the spring. If it isn't there, then you need to go to a repair shop and get a replacement. When you re-insert the valve, spin it a little to make sure the valve guide (the metal or plastic ring-like object) clicks into the slit on the inner valve casing wall. This ensures the holes are aligned. Sometimes on plastic valve guides, the nibs get worn causing the valve to spin.

Where the valve stem (the part under the button) connects the the actual piston there should be a part that unscrews. Unscrew it and pull out the spring and then put it back in and screw the stem on. That might do the trick for the noisy spring. If not, try turning the spring upside down. Sometimes they just don't sit right inside the spring barrel.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

It is not your horn. Call the band director. Misguided self-help will only make you the OWNER of that horn.

I think that it is noble to want to learn the trumpet in a short time. I think that that goal is only realistic with outside help. DIY beginnings have no controls if you are doing ANYTHING correctly. Bad habits developed from the beginning will hurt your progress in a serious way for the rest of your life.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Northern California

I had a very similar problem recently on a new horn by a respected maker. The valve guide turned out to have been stamped from the wrong side. In other words, when the cupped portion faced the correct direction relative to the spring, the guide leg ended up being too high in the column to engage the slot. The piston would spin completely around if you tried to tighten the loose valve stem. I just flipped the guide and reinstalled it, curing the problem long enough to order an assortment of common replacement parts for the brand.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Thread Information