Trumpet Discussion Discuss 2004 Goals? in the General forums; As comeback players, what are your goals for the coming year? Mine: A) Find a good teacher and start getting ...

2004 Goals?

As comeback players, what are your goals for the coming year?

Mine:

A) Find a good teacher and start getting some lessons, and

B) Find a community band/orchestra/ensemble to play in.

Dick Taylor
    Georgia
    Comeback Player
    Benge 65B

Fortissimo User
    1) Survive the year.

2) Survive the (shudder) sight-reading session at the Calgary International (?) Band Competition in Feb. (I'm told it is "International"...that means that the Flathead Valley Community Band will probably be there as the "International Representative"!)

3) Make my high C actually "musical"! (And of course that means getting a reasonable high E)

4) Improve my playing in any way that I can.

5) Figure out what to buy my wife for our 20th anniversary.

Great question, rdt!

Pianissimo User
    Hmmmmm .... too many to count .... but a start with these...

1) Form a *new* habit and perfect my 'air flow' through my horn.
    2) Musically 'own' a high D
    3) Make my way, and 'own' Clarke's Technical Studies
    4) Listen to more classical ochestras (CD or Live) to truly hear and learn from the masters.
    5) Keep a practice log and journal - learning from the past to build the future.

I guess that is about it for now ...
    Joel Thomas
    Atlanta, Georgia

I also started a practice journal at the beginning of the year.

Welcome to TM!

Your signature says Atlanta. I live in Griffin. We have a couple of other members from GA too!
    Dick Taylor
    Georgia
    Comeback Player
    Benge 65B

1.) Stay alive. (Going to Iraq soon.)
    2.) Get serious about TRUMPET playing. (I've only been working on my improv chops.) This includes getting a daily routine happening.
    3.) Musically "own" an E above the staff.
    4.) Learn 12 tunes. (Two of which include the blues and "Rhythm" changes in all 12 keys.)
    5.) Make my life simpler. (I'm hoping a year in the desert will help that.)

--Kevin

Fortissimo User
    Kev...don't tell me you're part of the Bamberg gang! (Now how did I miss that?) Best wishes and a healthy return. Don't expect you to say WHEN you aregoing nor how long you are all staying but....it's a lifetime experience.

You'll "own" that high E when you first sit on a hot metal chair out in the sun at high noon.

Pianissimo User
    Hi folks,

For me 2004 got started in a "big way". I attended a trumpetfest in the Greater Chicago Area yesterday. My admission "ticket" into the event was my Eclipse and knowing some great people.

Mitch Goldman was a very gracious host. Also in attendance were Mike Zilis, Jim Hatfield, and former Schilke employees Steve Daniels and Steve Winans (DoctorValve.com).

What an extraordinary day...and what great players! I volunteered early on to be a page-turner, but everyone was very nice to the least of us. :wink:

I took "White Lightning", Mike took his restored Al Hirt Holton, Mitch's newest horn was his Kanstul 1600, and Jim Hatfield and Steve Winans brought a "ton" of Schilkes and vintage Olds horns. When you also counted the cornets and flugels, I believe the "count" surpassed two dozen.

It was, indeed, HORN GEEK HEAVEN!!!

The "sleeper" horn of the day was an Olds Ambassador that was picked-up for about $135 on ebay. What a surprise. It had a "do-it-yourself" satin finish that was very appealing. The Scotchbrite was purchased at Wal-Mart. Now I feel confidant enough to try it myself.

Steve Winans, who makes double C's look very easy, then gave me a free embouchure lesson. He is a very "giving" person. So, after "playing" with a ton of horns, meeting some great "new" people, and taking my "chops" to the next level, I have nothing but optimism for 2004!

On a side note, Jim Hatfield brought along his new Getzen Field Bugle (Bugles Across America). What a great little horn.

All the best.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

New Friend
    Nice post Paul. I had a really great time too. Being able to play all those incredible horns was quite an experience.

I think my goals for '04 would be:

1. Practice / Play more on a regular basis.

2. Start studying with a teacher again.

3. Focus on playing more MUSIC and less on playing NOTES.
    -Mike
    1967 Holton Al Hirt Special (restored)
    Monette STC B1-5
    Starclassic Drums

Midwest TrumpetFest

I just want to add that I have some incriminating photos of Paul Nelson playing to the dogs (they were upstairs in the bedroom for the day).

This was put together on a whim and I was just trying to make it a fun day for everyone. We did have a bunch of really cool horns as Paul said, including Conn, Martin, Schilke, Kanstul, Olds, Eclipse, Holton, Getzen, and Bach. There were Cornets, Trumpets, and Flugels (Couesnon, LeBlanc, and Kanstul) and even the new Field Bugle from Getzen as Paul mentioned.

I have decided to co-sponsor another event like this next year (wife and time permitting) and I think that Steve Winans will be participating again. He is talking about having another one over the summer and having a "big dog" there. He knows all of the "big dogs", so that should be very cool. He and Jim Hatfield have got some real cool horns, and I might have one by then too. My 1957 Olds Studio was nominated "Most likely restoration candidate" so I may have a cool vintage horn to show off by then.

Mitch "The LIP"
    Kanstul ZKT 1600
    1957 Olds Studio
    Cousesnon Flugel

Pianissimo User
    If I remember correctly, Mitch's dogs "cried Uncle" when Steve Winans started "screaming" notes over the Dubba C!!! :wink:

It was a blast. Mitch's Cousesnon fLugel is very, very, very mellow. And I love the satin-brushed finish on his new Kanstul.

Mitch, I personally would love to come again. And I definitely want a "heads up" if Steve is going to have one, too. Any guesses on who the "big dog" will be???

All the best.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

Thread Information