Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss $250 for Jinbao's Best in the General forums; Includes D/Db Adjustable Tuning Preset & Spit Valve Notice the beautiful attention to detail. _____________________________________________ I found that extremely funny....
    Includes D/Db Adjustable Tuning Preset & Spit Valve

Notice the beautiful attention to detail.
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/

Pianissimo User
    Prov. 18:13 [somewhat revised], "He that judgeth a trumpet before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G
    Prov. 18:13 [somewhat revised], "He that judgeth a trumpet before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him."
    That is taking a pretty big liberty

"He who answers before listening --
    that is his folly and his shame"

But that is the problem with taking Scripture (or most any quote) in snippets. In this context it was talking about people.

How about a bit further in Scripture:

Proverbs 19:27

"Stop listening to instruction, my son,
    and you will stray from the words of knowledge."

Wise people LISTEN to other people. That is why one shouldn't answer before listening to someone and should listen to instruction and wisdom of others. IMO, one of the great aspects of this board is the knowledge and wisdom that comes from the collective group.

I have not played this particular Jinbao horn (I will at NAMM) but I have played others. Junk -- and that is when they bring their best horns! The only way to try one of these horns is to buy one (or be a member of NAMM, etc). I do not see a trail period listed -- just a warranty. If they were confident they would offer a return policy.

They would probably have massive returns.

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Pianissimo User
    M and C

I guess there is little humor in your world. Sorry about that.

I surely wouldn't want to interfere with your business.

Piano User
    I found out something interesting about China. Earlier this year my community band was invited to tour China. The person making the invitation explained that China has an emerging brass band/community band interest. The folks setting up the tour said that initially they had invited college bands and instructors, but after several years the Chinese had started to show a lot of interest in community brass bands. There is also a lot of interest in our horns (all of the brass horns) and why they are so much better.

So, although the Chinese will have a steep learning curve because brass bands were unknown in their country for so many years, they just might be a force to be reckoned with in a few years. Who knows?
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G
    M and C

I guess there is little humor in your world. Sorry about that.

I surely wouldn't want to interfere with your business.
    Huh? I am usually the one to take things off topic with humor. Please interfere with any "business" with humor. I didn't pick up on the humor. :?
    Life is much better with humor.

Sometimes in print, it is hard to tell. Sorry I didn't catch it.

This is how I feel:

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox

ZINC

A bluish-white, lustrous metallic element that is brittle at room temperature but malleable with heating. It is used to form a wide variety of alloys including brass, bronze, various solders, and nickel silver, in galvanizing iron and other metals, for electric fuses, anodes, and meter cases, and in roofing, gutters, and various household objects. Atomic number 30; atomic weight 65.39; melting point 419.4°C; boiling point 907°C.

NICKEL

A silvery, hard, ductile, ferromagnetic (Easily magnetized) metallic element used in alloys, in corrosion-resistant surfaces and batteries, and for electroplating. Atomic number 28; atomic weight 58.69; melting point 1,453°C; boiling point 2,732°C.

Brass: Copper and up to 33 percent zinc
    Cupronickel: Copper and 10 to 40 percent nickel.

SOURCE: Dictionary.com

*****METAL PRICES*****

COPPER value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $1.2247
    COPPER average price (Per pound) For June: $1.2187

GOLD value as of 7/2/04 (Per ounce troy): $398.30
    GOLD average price (Per ounce troy) For June: $392.16

NICKEL value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $6.9174
    NICKEL average price (Per pound) For June: $6.1415

SILVER value as of 7/2/04 (Per ounce troy): $6.00
    SILVER average price (Per ounce troy) For June: $5.85

TIN value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $4.0869
    TIN average price (Per pound) For June: $4.1753

ZINC value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $0.4368
    ZINC average price (Per pound) For June: $0.4633

SOURCE: LONDON METAL EXCHANGE (metalprices.com)

*NOT PRICES OF SCRAP METAL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heavens2kadonka
    Brass: Copper and up to 33 percent zinc
    Cupronickel: Copper and 10 to 40 percent nickel.

COPPER value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $1.2247
    NICKEL value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $6.9174
    ZINC value as of 7/2/04 (Per pound): $0.4368
    !
    So what I get from all of this is that Cupronickel should be more expensive than Brass since Nickel is much more expensive than Zinc.

Of course Silver and Gold are much more expensive, hence they only put a fine coat over the brass (or in the case of gold, silver first, then the gold).

So what is the advantage for Jinbao to make a Cupronickel bell? It looks cool I guess. Probably cheaper than Silver plate. But does it play at all well? The Chinese copy stuff for the most part. I don't recall seeing a Cupronickel bell on any other horn.

Too many questions -- but thanks for the info!

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox

From what info I am gathering from trumpet makers' websites, roughly 25% to 36% of the list price of a horn goes towards the leadpipe, tuning slide, and bell portions of the horn. The remaining percentage goes toward the valves, pistons, valve casings, other doo-dads I may be missing, and the soldering and cleaning of the horn.

Hmm, there has to be profit SOMEWHERE in the list price, and THAT profit has to go towards labor, advertising, materials, taxes....

How can Jinbao make a good horn with such low prices? I KNOW labor in China is cheaper than other countries (Gross domestic product of China was $918 in 2001, compared to U.S.'s $34,788).

BTW, my source for income was unstats.un.org.

My sources for the trumpets was blackburn.com and the wwbw replacement part section. (Someone who knows more about trumpet construction PLEASE check me on this!!)

Of course, you could make a mixture of 95% copper, 5% nickel (OR LESS) and call it "cupronickel." There is no rule (to my knowlege) that an alloy has to be a certain percentage of each metal to be considered an alloy. Shoot, the definition says that brass can also contain other metals with the copper and zinc and still be considered "brass!"

AND PLUS, with raw metals, there's the cost of transforming the metal to the finished product...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information