Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss 30% Less in the General forums; Squirrel!...

Re: 30% Less

Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Piano User

I have the same thing, I'm like 30% less on lessons, 50% less on auditions, but 110% on gigs, gigs go wonderfull like 99% of the time. I have no clue why that is, it might be as said in posts before. I'm not like a guy that worries a lot, I just play that horn, but I still have this..
    Yamaha YTR-2335
    Yamaha YFH-631 Work in progress

I am glad that you guys have decided to respond.

I can give a little bit more of a background. I have admired my teachersí abilities for a long time, but have only recently started taking lessons with him at the beginning of the summer. Each lesson is a gem. He has a talent for explaining exactly what I need to do. I am making so much progress and he has been very happy with how things are going, too. When practicing a particularly difficult piece, I want to play it as well as I do in the practice room own but it never comes out the same way. Yes, I can be a bit nervous to play in front of him but it is not fear (I donít think). For example, if we sit and talk for a bit I do clam down and play better, but still not to the degree that I have in the practice room.

To be honest, I can see where this is also linked with stage freight because I have felt that too. It seems to depend heavily on the importance I personally place in the performance and who is listening, i.e., whatís at stake.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us.

Edward Wallis Hoch, Marion (Kansas) Record
    (1849 - 1925)

Pianissimo User
    Battle Creek, MI

You're just trying too hard, man. Being nervous about performing in front of someone you're trying to impress is normal. One step at a time and just do it the way you practiced. You'll be fine :)
    BrotherBACH likes this.
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

If I could . . .
    And maybe at this stage, you have too much to think about as it is, so if you can use this, good; if not, maybe some other time.

I have reduced the level of anxiety considerably when I realised that my ego was in the way. I began looking at performing as a process in which I was merely a conduit. There was the music, there was me who was channeling the music, and there was the listener(s). Once I got the concept of the music going through me and not coming from me, things changed dramatically.
    BrotherBACH likes this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Great Stuff Folks! Thanks for a very interesting discussion!

(an' more to follow I'll bet)

I'm not convinced that it's NOT a form of stage fright. An instructor is your "audience"....No? Anyway, my suggestion.........have a glass of wine.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I agree with Kehaulani about we players being only the channel of music ... unless we double as the composer also. I really believe one could cast me as a "show off" whereas I've always enjoyed being the performer from children's choir to drama club and debate teams in high school, in the cast of Inherit The Wind in the role of the photographer in college and Toastmasters when living in Northern Virginia. Somewhere among all this "stage fright" has been non-existent for me. However I am prepared, the tension - excitement just prior to going on stage or to the podium has at times given me the heeby-jeebys / jitters that suddenly ends as I begin my performance / speech and I am transfixed in its presentation until the ending. Only I allow myself to criticize and I am my own worst critic. I've always thought the audience didn't pay for my training so they got their monies worth, even if I make a fool of myself. I try and some days are better than others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information