Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss 3c Ouch! in the General forums; Hello C. Give the 5C Bach a try. It has the deeper C cup like the 7C. Its deeper C ...
    Mezzo Forte User
    Darlington S.C.

Smile Re: 3c Ouch!

Hello C. Give the 5C Bach a try. It has the deeper C cup like the 7C. Its deeper C cup will go darker almost to a 5B. But still nice and bright in upper range. It does have a higher Alpha Angle of 19 degrees. The 3C has 18 degrees. This is on the new Bach mouthpieces. It is right between the 7C and 3C. If you like it but it has to much bite,even though the rim is flatter. You can get the older desgn or lower Alpha Angle ones through Mr. Curry. He still makes the older Mount Vernon design. Good luck

Santa Cruz County, CA

Re: 3c Ouch!

Chet Baker used a Bach 6, and then a Bach 6C (after his dental problems) to get his signature sound. Clifford Brown used one of the Bach 17 variants and got his great tone. I don't know whose tone you most admire, but dark does most emphatically not always equate to large rim diameters, especially if you're not called upon to play with extreme volume.

The Bach 5C is the deepest of the Bach C cups. The Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece is an old Bach 7 rim combined with a deep V cup and a large throat and backbore. Curry makes his TF mouthpieces, which feature very deep V cups in a variety of rim diameters. Any of these (or something else) may well be a better choice than a Bach 3C, which is indeed the shallowest of the Bach C mouthpieces.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Since you are buying and trying a lot of mouthpieces you might as well get a Bach 3D.

My best advice is to attend the International Trumpet Guild conference and try a whole lot of mouthpieces and talk to the 99.9 percentile players that will be there. Finding the correct mouthpiece is a very long journey and can get expensive.

Maybe I need to start a mouthpiece exchange or brokerage? Sell me your mouth pieces for 3 dollars and I sell them on the secondary market for $25.00. I wonder how that would go over with brass players?
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Mezzo Piano User

I was going to respond to each of you because everyone had great advice, but that would take too long, and I'd mainly be saying THANKS! ML, I did mean Goldilocks.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

What is Goldilocks?

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

I don't know how much or how well that you practice. A 3C is a pretty easy piece to get along with. It doesn't do anything spectacular but quite a bit reasonably well. I advocate getting used to something first before making any switch. If you don't, you lose your frame of reference.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

charlotte nc

The "real" problem with a 3C is that you can line up a hundred of them and you may fine "one" that actually feels right for you. I think this model may be one of the most inconsistent of the bunch. I know guys who have drawers full of them...all junkers.

I know there's a camp who says..."go with what it SOUNDS like, not what it feels like". I think the answer lies somewhere more like - sounds AND feels good. One without the other sure doesn't make much sense to me.

Best of luck...
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Evansville In

If you don't mind another question in this line (sorta hijacking) - is there a mouthpiece similar to the 5C rim but the depth of the 3C? I like the sound of the 3C - but comfort-wise the 5C is better. 5C for me is stuffy.

Great info - did not realize the 5C and 7C were deeper than the 3C. Another comment may explain why I have three 3C's that all play differently.
    Old Dam Community Band
    Olds Recording
    B&S Challenger II Cornet
    Conn 6B
    Conn 36B
    Stomvi Elite
    King Flugel
    Getzen Eterna

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetnick View Post
    What is Goldilocks?
    My wiseguy answer is "It's what the late Golda Meir used to put on bagels" but the real answer is that it is a reference to a popular fairytale about Goldilocks (a little blonde girl) and the Three Bears. Crowmadic referred to little Red Riding Hood but what he meant was "Goldilocks". I was basically teasing him for confusing the two little storybook girls.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano View Post
    "It's what the late Golda Meir used to put on bagels"

Goldilocks (a little blonde girl) and the Three Bears.

Good one maestro!

Rumour has it the Goldilocks was actually a "bottle blonde" though.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information