Trumpet Discussion Discuss 3rd valve slide advice in the General forums; I'm wondering about use of the third valve slide. In our christmas concert music there are a few sections where ...

3rd valve slide advice

I'm wondering about use of the third valve slide.

In our christmas concert music there are a few sections where I need to bring a D into tune, then it's a few measures before I get to the next D. There are no other notes requiring the third valve during that section. My question: Can I leave the third valve slide out during that time? Will it affect nodal points on the horn? How do I balance off a nice tone versus the movement of the horn using the third valve slide?

Thanks in advance for the advice (and yes, Robin, I know it's all about the air!! )

I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Re: 3rd valve slide advice

I would hope that it doesn't affect anything, because that it how I play. If a song requires the slide to be out for several notes, and there are no conflicting notes in between (like low Eb's), I keep the slide extended for the entire passage. IMHO, it's better to keep the slide out than create the extra noise from moving the slide back and forth several times.

Greensboro, NC

It will not affect anything because no air is going through the slide. If your slide is noisey when you pull it in, you are pulling in too hard. does your slide move like a trombone slide? It may not be moving smoothly. you shouldn't have to move your left hand to throw the slide out!
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

you just need to get the 3rd valve use into your daily practice. You can leave it extended if no Eb or Ab are needed. My german rotary trumpet has no mechanism to adjust the slides while playing (it was built in 1938). I pull the slide depending on what I am playing.

Good luck with the concert! Let us know how it goes!
    The air part assumes that you are playing (blowing) centered. Most older and non pro trumpets are built with a slightly too long first valve. This is to insure that the A, E and C# are not too high. Several pro trumpets require the player to extend the first valve slide a bit for these notes. The advantage is a much more resonant Bb, F and D.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thanks Bob. My slide moves quite freely, so it's not an issue of having to "muscle" it out. I was more wondering if there was a resonance or overtone issue, which looks to be a non-issue. I suppose it was more of a "strategy" concern in playing the piece. Just trying to minimize the movement if it's not needed.

And wouldn't you know it, Robin. This ice storm that knocked out the power to over one million people in New England also "knocked out" our Christmas concert. Oh, well, there's always next year.

Thanks again,
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Banned Mezzo Piano User

I bet a lot of people wounder that??? I do not think many stop and think about where the air is going through their trumpet.Only the mechanical types would wounder about that. I do not know how long your threaded stop is but if it is long enough it can make hitting "F" a lot easier. They make longer bolt stop's if ever you need it for like carmen or such. A trigger would never let you push that much slide out!

Pianissimo User

too bad about the cancelation,can't control the weather

i don't think it would matter unless you have it to far or not far out enough and things happen when the valve is pressed, the air flow that is.........
    some mentioned the "noise" factor with the 3rd slide,
    i use "o"-rings on the stop part of the slide and not the slide itself
    i use the o-rings from those 10th scale R/C car shock shafts, they are the right size (id & thickness )
    sure it'll make a muffled "thud" but not a noticeable "clank"
    BTW, how's the tune on the Eb/Ab/C#/ etc.,........... can always adjust the stopper
    have fun,
    Benge CG 16898
    Benge CG 13868
    Benge 3 29194
    Benge Flugel 5 21095
    Getzen Valve Bone KN2003
    Yamaha Custom Piccolo 1202
    Band Now Pocket
    king Tempo

Thread Information