Trumpet Discussion Discuss from 7c to.... in the General forums; hey i am going to get a new mouthpiece and was just wondering what mouthpiece would be good for marching ...

Question from 7c to....

hey i am going to get a new mouthpiece and was just wondering what mouthpiece would be good for marching band and high notes

Forte User

Smile Re: from 7c to....

check with your private teacher and he/she can help - - if you don't have a private teacher the best thing to do is just keep practicing and the 7c is a good mouthpiece unless you are having issues. there is no "magic" high note mouthpiece, we all have searched for it and the dern thing keeps hiding from all of us. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Re: from 7c to....

what kind of horn are you playing on now? How long have you been playing? What kind of range do you have now? The most important question: How much do you really practice every day?

A 7C mouthpiece IS a very good high note and marching band mouthpiece. Switching to something else requires additional practice (that would also help your 7C playing).

The basic rule of thumb is:
    If you practice regularly, your range stays the same on every mouthpiece! Your endurance goes up when the mouthpiece and horn match the job that you are trying to do. When marching, a smaller mouthpiece really doesn't help much because you jiggle around some when moving. That means you apply more pressure to keep your embouchure placed. A bigger mouthpiece makes marching a bit easier, but requires a lot more practice to build up endurance especially in the upper range.

Without hearing you play, it is impossible for me to figure out what you should do next. My students do not change hardware (mouthpieces) unless their software (breathing) is in order. I personally ALWAYS start there first.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Smile Re: from 7c to....

I have no choice but to agree with Rowuk. In my case as primarily a cornetist, my mouthpiece of choice on my Getzen Super DeLuxe cornet is a Bach 6, no letter. If the chart calls for anything above the C above the staff I use a Bach 7C. The combination of that particular horn and the Bach 7C is for me, almost magic. A close friend and fellow trumpeter came over yesterday evening to show me his new Lawler trumpet and to hear me play it. My range with a 7C was less than spectacular, but, more than adequate for the charts that I am asked to play. When I switched to my little Getzen he was amazed to hear me soar way up there with what he called fantastic tone. Perhaps it is just because I am very familiar with that little horn, or, that the combination of horn to mouthpiece is better for my particular emboushure. Whatever, the match of horn to mouthpiece to your playing style is what makes a trumpet/cornet sing in all registers. I guess that I am lucky to have fallen upon a combination that works for me. I did find a mouthpiece in my collection that works for me with 'most' trumpets. In my case, it is a French made Selmer 3S.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

A mouthpiece in the 5 to 7 (Bach) range is of moderate size, and pretty good for all styles of play. If you are looking for easier high notes and a good sound, the Curry "Z" cups are an excellent choice. Often the mouthpieces that are sold to make high notes easier sound pretty ugly unless played by players so good they don't really need them!

Remember that the key to good, loud high playing is projection (shooting an intense, focused sound away from the instrument), rather than what we as players call "loud." Playing "fat" and "loud" in this manner (especially outdoors) can quickly breed some bad habits. A good teacher is of vital importance as we expand what is our personal playing extremes. Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Yeah there really is no High Note mouthpiece that'll do the job for you. It is something that should come naturally out of your horn with a mouthpiece that makes you feel comfortable to play in that high range with no strain or struggle whatsoever. Most of the time when you see professional lead player sometimes you see them switch using two mouthpieces to perform. Thats what they feel comfortable using and it took them time to develop such technique so be carefull on how you try to switch or try other mouthpieces. Try to buzz in it first, then work on some scales and even chromatic scale to see how it feels. If you feel your pushing then stop and just leave it alone. I like what rowuk has to say on this topic. I agree with him, because in reality it does require additional practice and depending on how much you practice. Take everything a step by a time dont rush into these things.

Casper, WY

Really good posts one and all!

Thread Information