Trumpet Discussion Discuss abs in the General forums; I was just playing a Bb Concert scale two octaves this evening, and I realized that my abs were doing ...
    New Friend
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

I was just playing a Bb Concert scale two octaves this evening, and I realized that my abs were doing a whole lot of work. I knew that the diaphram was a big part of the mix but this surprised. All my core muscles tightened up as I got higher. I was not straining at all for any notes and I was using (what sounded to me) an excellent tone, so I wasn't pushing myself note-wise. Is this alright?
    Jupiter JTR-1602
    Yamaha - 14B4 & 14A4a

"Play with your ears. When it sounds good it's good." - Yngwie Malmsteen

L.A./Orange County CA

Re: abs

Hey man, if it makes you sound great, it's right. There is no right or wrong way to do it. You are the best judge for you.
    Drake F. Peterson

There is no way we can know if your abs tension ultimately help or hurt. Only a local trumpet or Yoga teacher can tell you that.

I can say that if I notice something about MY body when playing, it is too much of whatever!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

When I play in the upper register I use my abs more than when I play in the staff or lower, I also use them more when playing at louder volumes, in the old days they used to call this using your diaphragm , now we know the diaphragm expands to let air in but its the abs that push's the air out.

Thread Information