Trumpet Discussion Discuss Academy Awards in the General forums; I just checked out the Academy Awards site and couldn't find any info on the pit players - does anyone ...
    Pianissimo User

Academy Awards

I just checked out the Academy Awards site and couldn't find any info on the pit players - does anyone know who is in the trumpet lineup for this year?
    Dave M.
    Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario, CANADA

Kanstul WB1600
    1952 L.A. Olds Recording, 1975 L.A. Benge 3x, Yamaha 631 Flugel, Olds Flugel

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces

I do not know who will be in the pit this year. I can tell you who some of the guys have been in the past years.

Rick Baptist
    Warren Leuning
    Chuck Findly
    Malcom McNab

Fortissimo User
    George Graham can, I believe, be added to the list of past Academy players. I'll bet Larry has a pretty comprehensive list.

tootsall,
    For sure George Graham. Thank you.
    bnb

Forte User
    I think it depends on who the conductor and contractor are for this year's show. Doesn't each conductor bring in his favorite players?

M.

Fortissimo User
    I sent an email to Larry and asked him if he knew anything about this year's Oscars. Here is the "meat and potatoes" of his response, which he gave me permission to pass along: Bill Conti will not be the conductor this year and will be replaced by the musical director of American Idol, Nigel Wright and the section will be Rick Baptist, Gary Grant, Malcom McNabb and Warren Luening".

Also "George Graham has retired from playing and lives in Northern California now". A shame. George is a great trumpet player.

To answer another question in the previous post: "The director has the power to override the musical contractor and get who ever he wants in the orchestra."

My own comment: We hear how self-effacing the TOP professionals are and have no reason to disbelieve that: Can't you just picture those four guys all fighting for the 4th chair? HAHA!

DCB
    I know that Malcom McNabb was probably there. I think he has played for for the AA for many years. He his amazing.
    dcb <><
    John 14:6
    Selmer Radial
    Kanstul/ Najoom French Besson
    Holton Collegiate
    Conn 80A
    Amati flugelhorn

Thread Information