Trumpet Discussion Discuss Accenting notes in the General forums; Hi all! After receiving my new Kanstul CCT 900 I have been having problems when accenting notes. For example, the ...
    Lo
    New Friend

Accenting notes

Hi all!

After receiving my new Kanstul CCT 900 I have been having problems when accenting notes. For example, the sound goes all wobbly and too loud (sort of like when letting air out of balloon). I forget the name of the accent but its the one with the hat thing over top (if that helps !). My mouthpiece is a 5c. Is this mental? Or something to do with embrochure? Feels like my top lip vibrates too much or something. Thanks!

Fortissimo User
    Maybe the Kanstul trumpet plays much more "open" than your previous horn and you need to "control" the accented note more. Don't try to "blast" it as loud as you might have been used to and I'll bet it smoothens out a lot for you. Try playing the note "tenuto"... and increase the volume while thinking about SOUND QUALITY. Then keep working at it, making it shorter and shorter but maintaining the QUALITY of the sound. If it's being played "loud" but sloppy, it's going to sound much worse than "quiet quality and in tune". And don't "spit" the note out. That accent just means to make it "bark" a little but keep it clean. Don't cut it off with your tongue.

Perhaps D. Bacon would chime in here.

Thread Information