Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Acoustics Question <HELP!!> in the General forums; Hubnub, With all the good advice already offered - perhaps you could try David Monettes body centering exercises (and playing) ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: Acoustics Question <HELP!!>

With all the good advice already offered - perhaps you could try David Monettes body centering exercises (and playing) while sitting on a hard chair. David gives advice on the Monette website about stance and sitting when playing. I know many of us LIKE to stand when playing, but if you sit properly you may minimise the apparent effect of the low ceiling. Just a thought.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Piano User

Hard reflective surfaces are the key. Anything else in the room will interfere with the standing waves (hope I'm not showing my ignorance here) and work against reverberation, including tables, chairs and kids toys. When setting up an audio system (where you actually want a dead room), I've seen people pull their books and records out at varying increments to remedy an otherwise "parallel-wall" situation.

In any event, you're not going to get very much "hang time" out of a room that size, but it should make it a lot less stuffy. I guess you could get a program for your computer that would add reverb to your sound, and play it back through an audio system, but you would have to set it up properly to avoid an oscillation loop (feedback).

Good luck.

Boca Raton

There was a material called masonite (from years ago when the earth was still flat, and I was young) It was a hard shiny surface on one side. The common color was brown, but in later years saw it in several colors. It probably was full of asbestoes, and is no longer made. This stuff ws excellent for reflecting sound. The hard plastic-like material used for counter tops on inexpensive bathroom or kitchen counters/cabnets. Glue this stuff to a sheet of plyboard/chipboard. Mount it at an angle, or just lean against the wall, that way it's adjustable. I think you'll like it!
    Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information