Trumpet Discussion Discuss Adding a little spice... in the General forums; Alright, Whenever I practice, eg do warmups or train tonguing, slurs whatnot, it's always similar to the ones I have ...
    Pianissimo User

Adding a little spice...

Whenever I practice, eg do warmups or train tonguing, slurs whatnot, it's always similar to the ones I have done. It becomes kind of boring over time to do the same **** over and over and over and over again. How can I "throw a ranch in the system". The idea is the same, to train the same things, but I'm too stupid to think of something. Just need to get away from the feeling of being on a route.

For example: When I train tonguing I do C D E F G F E D C in different tonguing methods and speeds. Or C E G 2ndC (not sure what it's called in English :s ). Of course I do it in different scales and ranges, but it kind of becomes tiresome, need something fresh to keep it interesting.

Re: Adding a little spice...

You could put on an Aebersold backing track and do your exercises to music.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Practice your thirds, your fourths, fifths, just going up and down. practice your modes and scales and what not. change it up here and there and just have a good time with them. I text, so i tell my self i wont answer a text untel i have a scale memorized.
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

You have just hit on why most of us have a very complete library of method books etc. For example the Arbans will give you some of everything, the Vizzutti books are excellent, the Clarke books also work very well, etc. Go get some books and work in them.

Thread Information